Question Help to pinpoint a projector model.

CapitanCiccio

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, I decided to buy a projector for domestic use. I'm not going to play with it, just watch movies. It has been a few months since I began to understand projector characteristics, and eventually I thought I succeded in narrowing down to a few models, but I realized I missed something very important about the set up of the projector itself: I was considering the projection throw and the image size to obtain a throw ratio to stick to, but I ignored the height from the ground, which, in my case is not a choice, since I have to put it on a library shelf. I will recap the characteristics I'm looking for here below, hoping that whoever wants to help me, makes the least effort possible. I won't include considerations about image construction technology or lamps or lumens, but only what is really mandatory. Anyway, any insight on any aspect is welcome. Here I go:

- Budget: up to some 1500€
- Resolution: 1080p native (less is ugly, more is expensive).
- Distance lens-wall: some 3.7 m
- Height from ground: some 1.8 m (this is what worries me most).
- width of wall/image: max 2.1 m
- From the last 3 values, the Throw Ratio should be not less than some 1.8
- the shelf is 25cm deep, the projector shouldn't exceed that measure by more than, say, 5 cm.

For calculation I used mainly this one:
Projection Calculator Pro - Projector to Screen Distance and the calculators from specific brands (Optoma, Epson, Benq)
And then I found this one, that include height from ground, but has too few models:
JACK LIU Projection Calculator, world's most intuitive projection calculator

If I forgot to mention something important, please feel free to ask.
I thank you for any ideas you'll be sharing!
Simone.

Last edited:
My projector must be at least ~1.9m up (formerly JVC HD750, now a Sony 4k). Vertical image shift for my screen, which is at a comfortable viewing height (I like mid screen to be roughly at seated eye height), is well within range of the lens shift. As for screen width- just go with what you can get from that distance.

Given that you're effectively ceiling height, turn the projector over. If you have to modify/add to the shelf then that shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Leave space for ventilation.

A good second-hand PJ may be the route to go. JVC X series.

My projector must be at least ~1.9m up (formerly JVC HD750, now a Sony 4k). Vertical image shift for my screen, which is at a comfortable viewing height (I like mid screen to be roughly at seated eye height), is well within range of the lens shift. As for screen width- just go with what you can get from that distance.

Given that you're effectively ceiling height, turn the projector over. If you have to modify/add to the shelf then that shouldn't be too much of a challenge. Leave space for ventilation.

A good second-hand PJ may be the route to go. JVC X series.

Hi Barcoing mad, thanks for your suggestions. I get your old JVC and now the sony are at 1.9 m from the ground, but I'm not sure if you mounted them upside down how you suggested to me.
I think online calculators have the option "ceiling" usually, so I should be able to do the math again. I'm not sure how to take vertical lens shift into account, I'm terrified at the idea to buy a device that can't throw on my wall, go figure if I have to think about it "upside down"!
About the idea of turning it over anyway, is it reccomended to mount it ( in my case on the down side of the shelf above the one I would have placed it), or I can simply find a way to turn it over firmly? Otherwise, would it be a valid solution to raise the device rearin order to lower the image?
Finally, with "PJ" do you refer to Ricoh models?
Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Google the name of a projector and 'manual'. You'll find PDF downloads which will normally clearly show you the offsets that can be achieved with a helpful picture or two.

For example:
Sony VPL-VW760ES Operating Instructions Manual (Page 8 of 54)

shows that my PJ is quite happy sitting the right way up, with the image shifted down (which is good, as that's how I have it!). There's a bit more elbow room with an up shift (but less of an increase than I thought)

Pretty well all PJs will lens shift enough to allow the top/bottom of the image to be at least flush with the bottom of the unit, given that often they can end up either sitting just a bit above the floor, or up against a ceiling.

PJ = projector.

Google the name of a projector and 'manual'. You'll find PDF downloads which will normally clearly show you the offsets that can be achieved with a helpful picture or two.

For example:
Sony VPL-VW760ES Operating Instructions Manual (Page 8 of 54)

shows that my PJ is quite happy sitting the right way up, with the image shifted down (which is good, as that's how I have it!). There's a bit more elbow room with an up shift (but less of an increase than I thought)

Pretty well all PJs will lens shift enough to allow the top/bottom of the image to be at least flush with the bottom of the unit, given that often they can end up either sitting just a bit above the floor, or up against a ceiling.

PJ = projector.

Ok thanks, I'll download some manuals and look for a setup that suits my needs. I'll begin with jvc x series as you suggested and I'll let you know.

In the meanwhile, if some of you know by experience, of some models that should match my setup (upside down or not), I'm all ears. Thanks.

Last edited:
I attach a sketch of the intended set up, in the hope that someone else can give me a hand in looking for specific models. As you can see, I'm looking for a device the can project an image with some negative offset. I reckon that turning it over would allow me to consider a lot more devices, but I'd like to put it on a shelf. Barcoing Mad already suggested me JVC X series, but it seems they're not so easy to find, especially used. Thanks.
Proj.jpg

IMG_20181214_083516__01__01%20%281%29.jpg

Any of the Epson models with wide lens shift would also work for you, so look for TW7200, Tw7300, TW7400, TW9200, TW9300, TW9400 etc. The only downside with the more recent epsons is their size is massive.

It is also worth noting that the TW7300 and TW7400 have seen big discounts on new recently that would mean they were inside your budget. They have gone back to full price but I would expect to see some discounts again in the new year

Chinstroke, thanks for your insight, this kind of considerations are very useful to me. I'll make some research in that direction and get back if I have to.

JVC - possibly slightly easier to find S/H once the new range starts to come through and folk consider an update.

Connectivity - keep in mind some projectors require additional depth due to the placement of the power and video connections on the rear of the projector.

Joe

JVC - possibly slightly easier to find S/H once the new range starts to come through and folk consider an update.

Connectivity - keep in mind some projectors require additional depth due to the placement of the power and video connections on the rear of the projector.

Joe
Hi Joe, thanks for your ideas. Surely I'll keep on looking jvc models, I just started to actually visit stores.
About the connectivity aspect, you're certainly right: 25cm of shelf isn't much and to consider more devices I'll end up with my lens 10-15 cm beyond the shelf. I'm considering 5cm for rear connections, but they'll be more for sure. In the last days I saw some models with i/o ports on the side of pj, but I saw so many that I can't remember which was

Jvc x series are big and heavy (15kg). They also need room at the back to take in air for cooling so need a substantial shelf to sit on. They have lots of lens shift and zoom so you should be fine with the throw in your room.

Jvc x series are big and heavy (15kg). They also need room at the back to take in air for cooling so need a substantial shelf to sit on. They have lots of lens shift and zoom so you should be fine with the throw in your room.
Hi Andy, yes jvc xs are too big for me I guess.
I presently trying to see if I find an Epson EH-TW6700w. It should match my needs and I see they sell it for about 1000€. if you all have some experience with it I'd gladly share with you thanks!

If you can accommodate the size of them then the JVC's are well worth it. The older models are a great buy second hand too. Sorry don't know the Epson projectors, but they get good reviews.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom