1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help to get Freeview to work

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JackOTrades, Aug 26, 2005.

1. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I am really desperate... tried everything I could so far and read as much as I could in the Media Portal Forum but that got me more confused than actually helped. :confused:

Just started setting up the software side of my htpc.

I am running Media Portal (latest version) on XP Pro, NVidia Codecs, and the dvd playback is working fine, so is the dolby digital spdif out, etc. It all works *except* the freeview.

I got a Sweetspot MCE (freeview) card from David and installed it. I have the aerial cable in there, and the latest drivers from Sweetspot/BlackGold installed.

However, Media Portal cannot detect any channels whatsover! :eek:
    I read about XMLTV etc. but this I believe is one step after where I am now, no? I have to have channels first then worry about epgs...

I am really at a loss. If any of you has any ideas on how to set up Sweetspot/Blackgold Freeview on Media Portal I really need your help... :lease:

Thank you in advance to all of you!
    Jack

2. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
  3. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi HiZ,

Thanks for your help.
    I have installed the latest BDA drivers. Unfortunately I don't have any other software to use with the card to test if it is working. Is there something you recommend?

The card is listed as supported, as the Blackgold GDI (DVB-T). I understand the Sweetspot MCE is a Blackgold Freeview card. At least this is what I have been told so far. The drivers I am using are the same as for the BlackGold card (the ones in your link).

I have registered and posted a question for support in the Media Portal Installation Support area. So far I haven't got any responses but I am hopeful.

Thanks a lot for your help and any help anyone can give me.
    Regards,
    Jack

4. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Noone has anymore hints?
    I haven't figured this one out yet... the signal level shows maximum, but it finds no stations... is there anywhere I can find a config file for Media Portal with the UK channels and frequencies to type in? If it can't find it automatically I don't mind typing them down manually but I don't know the details...

please any help will be highly appreciated, i have no more ideas...

Jack

5. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the PC need to have access to the internet for a Freeview card to work?!

Cheers,
    Jack

6. Rambles

Rambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,134
    No - Dscaler is a small free app that you could quickly install as a check to see if the card is working, if it doesn't it could still be a driver problem rather than a hardware problem, but it's a start!

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  7. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, using media portal 0.1.3

go to the media portal setup wizard, do the first few screens...when it gets to the tv part (default australia, adelaide) look at the window title..it says "tv: analog", so dont click anything on that screen, just select "next"...now, the next screen shows dvb-t tuning info...select "UK, all regions" and then click scan.

that will do it.

you also dont need xmltv, just ignore all those parts as media portal will pull a 7 day epg from the dvb-t mheg data (the equivalent of teletext)

enjoy.

8. JackOTrades

JackOTrades
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Werner,

I am running version 0.1.3.0 of Media Portal.
    The Setup Wizard on the page you refer to (to select the country before the scan) does NOT show tv:analog. It shows dvb-t. The screen after this one is for xmltv settings.

Media Portal recognises the tv card as a GDI Blackgold (HW Freeview Capture Card).
    It does not find any channels and it says this card does not support autotuning.
    Still it goes through with the scanning but finds nothing whatsoever.

I verified all the comments I could get from the internet. I double checked the capturecarddefinitions.xml file and the xml for this card (BlackGold) seems to be fine.
    I also checked the dvbt.xml file and it has the offset for the uk as 167Mhz which is what I read to be the right one.

I have no manual details for the list of channels so I can't add it manually (nor do I know where to add it to).
    The card is recognised by Media Portal Setup. However, when I enter Media Portal itself the "My TV" has a button to switch TV on that doesn't work.

I am totally at a loss now. Done all I could find online and had no luck.
    If anyone here is using Media Portal with a BlackGold card or Sweetspot MCE and can help I will be eternally grateful :) .

If anyone has manual settings for the UK Freeview channels in London I would be very grateful as well.

Thank you all for any help.
    Jack