• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

help - To decide btw sharp 42" & Samsung 46" 1080p LCD

css_jay99

Established Member
Hi guys I just want to pick your brains

I have ordered the Sharp 42" LC42XD1E 1080p LCD and just noticed that Samsung has 2 46" LCD's which somehow seem to have a very similar External dimensions to Sharp's 42"

They are Samsung 46" LE46M86BD & LE46M87BD 1080p - specs seems to be the same but cant see anything that tells them apart. anyone knows ?

These dimensions are Excluding the stands
The sharp 42" (W X D X H) is 1029 X 133 X 709
The samsung 46" (W X D X H) is 1106 X 104 X 706

Looks certainly like the Samsung 46" is only just about 77mm wider (but smaller in other dimensions) than the 42" Sharp. looks likw Samsung has made a good use of their dimensions to create a compact 46"

OK :-
1) there is an additional price tag of about £400
2) Samsung lack Freeview

BUT :-
samsung has 3 HDMi's
in my opinion (could be wrong ) there does not seem to be a big thread of issues

Can people please cast their views on this comparisons expecially in relation to picture quality, features and issues with these LCD's

I am at a cross road here once again and trying to decide whethere to stick with my sharp 42" purchase comming this week or consider Samsungs 46"

help needed here please. could not be any more despirate

Considering i am a newbie I dont seem to understand the concept of Freeview and digital terestial broadcast. I was on the assumption that :-
1) a HD ready TV means that will accept HD via the external connections AND they have in-built digital Tuners into which we plug in our aeriels to receive digital transmissions when all broadcasts goes digital.
2) The Cam Module slots at the back of the LCD's will be used when some digital TV becomes paid subscription service hence the need to buy CAM's in the future
3) Freeview while good to have on an LCD is not important because most will usually subscribe to a sky/cable service and that Freeview will eventually die off when digital broadcast is available across UK
4) not really a question but are LCD's with CAM's an indication of Freeview or something completely different ?

thanks for taking the time to read

css_jay99

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom