Help to circumvent garage door

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jassco, Jun 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,900
    I'm hoping the good people of GC can help come up with a clever solution here. We're buying a new house soon, and taking our electric car charging point with us. However, I'm struggling to identify the best solution as there isn't an obvious place to put it. The company won't install the main charge unit on the porch wall as it's too low down.

Here's the outside taken from google street view. Garage door is standard, opening as one overhead.

chargepoint.png

The solutions I've considered are:
    1. purchase a £270 freestanding mount, but it'd look fairly unwieldy
    2. place the charge point inside the garage. Cut a hole in the garage door (professionally done with rubber seal to not damage the cable), and have the end of the cable clipped into the side of the porch so don't have to go open the garage every night to charge it. I suspect this will make it a pain to open the garage door for other uses
    3. Same as 2, but instead of going through the garage door, go under it. However would creating a channel like this reduce how secure the garage door is? I imagine it'd also fill with water, and I don't know how to overcome that
    4. Brick up the side window of the porch next to the garage door, and place the charger there. However same issue with opening the garage door
    5. Place the charger inside the porch on the wall, and make a large hole for the cable. It's a fairly decent sized cable though so would mean bricks being removed
    6. I think the wall behind that brown fence is the neighbour's, otherwise I'd have built that up higher and placed on there. I could ask for permission to build it up.

What do you think is best, any other solutions you can think of, or any ways around the issues in the above solutions?

2. InvisibleDuncan

InvisibleDuncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Does the garage door not have a frame around it? It might be easier to cut a hole in that rather than the door itself.

3. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,900
    nowhere near big enough down the sides (the cable is really thick). Above the door might be a shout, I'll have a good look at the weekend to see if that's an extra option

4. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,820
    What will you be using the garage for?

If you aren't planning on putting a car in it you could brick up half of it to mount the charger on and have an access door/window in the other half (subject to planning consent).

5. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,900
    general storage, like bikes, bins and gardening things, as well as passage through to the back garden without trailing stuff through the house

6. InvisibleDuncan

InvisibleDuncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Could you fix the cable to the junction of the wall and floor (and therefore out of the way when opening / closing), and make a combined hole in the frame and the door, just taking a nibble out of the very bottom corner of the door?

7. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,900
    Possibly - the cable is quite thick (like putting thumb and index finger together to make an O shape) and I'm keen not to risk damaging it at all. I'd have to have a close look to see whether that would be possible

8. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,071
    Out of interest, why is the porch wall too low. Is it some regulation or a technical restriction?

Cheers,

Nigel

9. the whistler

the whistler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Are you a member of Speakev.com the forum for EV owners? Similar questions about where to mount the charge port are often popping up on there. Maybe someone has had a similar problem.

According to this, The installation of an electric vehicle charging point the minimum height to the bottom of the charger is 50cm. I think that's about 7 standard bricks, but you have 10 bricks below the window, so it must be pretty close to the limit.

10. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,900
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  11. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,820
    I think the charging point has to be high enough up the wall that there is no risk of a vehicle driving/backing into it.

12. Doug the D

Doug the D
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,767
    Would option 5 with some sort of bulkhead adapter to take it outside work? I'm not sure what the cable is like that goes from the charging unit to your car (never seen one), but if it could be chopped and then put through a hole in the wall, with a waterproof socket on the other side, the remaining half of the cable is fitted with the relevant plug to connect to the new socket. Or would chopping the cable invalidate the warranty. Can you get another cable?

I'm not certain I've explained it very well tbh! Could you connect your internal car charging unit to something like this:

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/prod...Ib7TKQuL54mzbJ0yIzBoCdKkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

13. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,900
    Unfortunately that wouldn't work. The cable is tethered and so can't be removed from either end without invalidating the warranty. So I'd have to feed the white unit through any hole. The unit is this (not mine) - the small black holder can be placed anywhere, so I'd like that outside with the main cable (4.5m) running to it
    IMG_9459.jpg

14. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,429
    Maybe a tad expensive but, brick up the right side of the porch, fit the charging point on the new wall and change the garage door to one that the bottom doesn't go outwards when opening i.e. a roller garage door.

:)

15. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,071

I wonder whether those building regulations actually exist - be interesting to see what they are. But I guess they can make their own rules regardless.

You wouldn’t beleive we are all being encouraged to switch from fossil fuels to electric - not enough public charging points and you are not even allowed to install one in your own home.

Why don’t you write to Lord Deben saying “all right smart ass, sort this one out”

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  16. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,900
    It's the 'if money was no object' solution

17. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,429
    ...well, it is your option 4) and solves the garage door problem, maybe not as expensive as you think? and it is a solution.

:)

18. jassco

jassco
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,900
    About £1000+ for the door, then the remedial work on the porch. I was hoping for far cheaper

19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,820
    Of course he's allowed, and the logical place to put it is in the garage, and charge the car in the garage. Just because he doesn't want to waste that useful space by having a car in it isn't PodPoint's fault :p.

20. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,429
  21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44,820
  22. McVicar

McVicar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,198
  23. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    What is the gate mounted to? There appears to be a gatepost in the picture with some way between that and the side wall, is there some sort of fence/wall that connects the two where you could mount the charging point? If not could you construct one?

It's a shame you didn't go for a socketed charge point or you could just mount it on the house wall above the garage. It might be worth getting a 4.5m piece of string and seeing how viable that option is anyway. It looks like a fairly low garage so if you can mount it 2.5m in the air that may be enough slack for most electric cars.

Have you asked PodPoint how much it would cost to convert to a socketed model? The PDF you linked show they exist.

There also seems to be a fair amount of blank space directly above the garage doors but whether that's usable would depend on the garage construction.

Otherwise I'd be inclined to go for option #6. If your neighbour agrees you could Put some crenellations on top of the existing wall which would give you a taller spot to mount the charging point without making it into a taller wall.

24. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,551
    Let them install inside the garage and then move it to where you want afterwards. Mine is in the garage but was too high for where I really wanted it so moved afterwards.

25. its_all_Greek

its_all_Greek
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,566
    Does it have to be mounted on Brick?

If not then possibly mount it on the garage door nearest the porch or replace the glass in the LHS of the Porch for a Reinforced UPVC panel and mount it to that. You may have to get inventive with hiding any nuts washers and anything used to spread the load etc on the inside of the panel.

26. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,880
    Place inside porch and put a letter box at the front to feed the charger through?

27. aVdub

aVdub
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,023
    But................The garage will become a cinema room and there will be enough room on the fake garage door to hold the charging unit.

28. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +658
    1. with the stipulations of minimum building adjustment, and professional warranted installation, I agree it should mount on the house front wall inside the porch near the garage. Remove a convenient brick beneath the porch window and construct two wooden blocks of a size to fill the hole tbe brick vacates - one block to seal the fill the hole while the cable is stowed in the porch, the other block to fit around the cable when it is connected to the car.
    2. if you put coat hooks or a shelf of pot plants above the charger, take precautions not to block any vents, or allow water drips to enter.

29. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,527
    Option 7 move house :)

30. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,071
    He is moving house - this is the house he is moving to.

Cheers,

Nigel