Help to chose rear speaker

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by tnpmonkey, Jul 17, 2015.

1. tnpmonkey

tnpmonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have an Onkyo HT r380. It came with standard speakers 5.1 and wiring.

I brought a pair of Q Accoustics 2010i to replace the front two speakers and they are awesome. However they are so much louder they are blocking out everything else so I'm only running front 2 speakers and centre speaker.

I was thinking about getting another pair of Q accoustics 2010i for the rear but the brackets are 50 quid.

Also need a centre speaker too. The passive sub is fine as don't think I can replace it?

Are there any decent speakers to use for rear speakers that are good but cheaper than £110 a pair?

Also what would be a good centre speaker? On a budget

Thanks

2. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Calibrate your system- balance the speaker levels. If you bought Q Acoustics for L/R then get the matching Q Acoustics center.

If the HTIB has a passive sub, then you are stuffed when it comes to replacing it, if the Onkyo only subwoofer output is high level, and you normally connect the Onkyo speakers to the Onkyo sub. You will most likely need a new AV amplifier.

As for rear speakers you could buy second hand, I bought a pair of £600 bipoles for £100.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Since you have QA fronts then I would buy the QA centre and rears as well. As for the sub all BK Electronics subs have high level (speaker level) inputs so you could use these to connect to your current AVR. Hence you will be able to upgrade the sub as well. You will then have all the speakers you would need to be able to upgrade the AVR at a later date.

4. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    That is a Onkyo HTIB receiver though, it may do things differently with the bass management? Not sure, since passive sub out is usually non standard AV receiver layout.

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Not sure on the Onkyo but Yamaha did a similar system with a passive sub but there was also a sub preout that could be used with an active sub in the same way as a normal AVR.
    Even if the Onkyo does not have this then the speaker level output for the sub must be filtered to give on the low stuff to the sub (must also have crossovers for the other speakers since they are only small satellites albeit these could be fixed and not changeable like on a normal AVR). Hence connecting the sub output to the speaker level input on the sub should also still work with no issues.