Help to choose projector and screen

bobib

Standard Member
Reaction score
Please help me choose the right projector and screen. I have spent most of my free time for the last week going through this and other forums and online material, and gone down to Richer Sounds, but still overwhelmed by the amount of information and choice.

This is going to be my first home theatre, which I am going to also use to watch boxsets and other online streaming content, and some gaming (though these are unlikely to be of the kind that would need super fast response). I don't own a TV.

The room in question will unfortunately have to be my living room, which will mean off-white walls and ceilings and two largish bay windows. "Luckily" north and east facing, so get very little direct sunlight. There will obviously be blinds (though perhaps not blackout), and I my plans are to use the projector mostly at night. The lights will be happily switched off, though there are some brightish street lights outside.

Room is roughly 5.3m x 3.7m. The screen will be hanging from ceiling or mounted on the 3.7m wall (it will have to be retractable). Most of the viewing will probably be done from between 3m and 4.5m, though something which works for 4m viewing distance should be fine. I don't think ceiling mounting is going to work (pendant light in the middle of the room), so projector will have to sit on a table, preferably low enough that it out of sight. The projector can sit anywhere between 2m and 3.5m from the screen, though my preference is for closer side of that range. (and lower if that works).

I am thinking a 120 inch (16:9) grey screen, so happy to go wider or narrower if you guys think I should.

Budget wise, there is no hard budget, but I am not wealthy, so I rather spend less than more. I have done quite a bit of reading, and from what I can gather the BenQs are highly regarded in the lower price ranges. My thinking is that I will go for something entry level, and wait 3-4 years for the price on the laser and 4K projectors to drop (or I am a bit better off). Regarding the screen, unless you guys think otherwise, I was looking to go for something on the higher end and keep it when I upgrade the projector (I am assuming that there is not the same constant advance in screen tech).

The problem I am having is that there are so many different entry level BenQs and conflicting reviews from different times and based on different prices that I am finding it hard to decide which is the best purchase for me right now. I am also open to projectors from other manufacturers if you think that would be a better fit. Btw, I don't really seem to suffer the rainbow effect (based on briefly viewing some of the models below), but I do seem to be very sensitive to jerky movement.

So the models I am considering are:
- BenQ 1070 (Best price £500 from Richer Sounds)
- BenQ 1070+ (best price £600 from EBuyer.com and £700 from a few other online stores)
- BenQ 1090 (Between £650 and £750)
- BenQ 1110S (£600)
- BenQ 1400 (£600)
- BenQ W2000 (£800)

I have also looked at:
- Optoma HD27 (£550)
- Optoma HD50 (£1100)

Grateful if you could let me know:
- Which of the above projectors is the best for my use?
- Which would you choose given the above prices?
- Would you get the wireless addition with these or is it not worth it?
- Is 120 inch (16:9) the right size/aspect to be going for?
- Which screen do you recommend (tab tensioned and retractable, and preferably motorised)?

Sorry for the long message, and thanks.

Sorry no suggestions from me, just wanted to drop by your thread because you seem to be in the same stage as me, and with almost exactly the same situation (the only difference is that my room is a bit more square than yours ~4.7x4.1m).

One thing I would like to ask is: have you checked the throw ratio of all those projectors? To me it seems like this is perhaps the most critical parameter, because from its value depend if you can match the size of your screen with the distance between screen and projector (to which you are bound by the room size and projector location). For example, I had to narrow down my list of possible projectors to make sure I could fill a 135" from 3.5-3.6m away.

Thanks for the tip. I am a bit more flexible (undecided) about the projector position, provided that it can sit in front and not distract or obstruct my view. Otherwise it will have to sit behind at 5.2m, which would then narrow it a bit. Which projectors are you considering?

BTW, you don't think 136inch is too big for your room size?

Have you budgeted anything for sound?

Have you budgeted anything for sound?

I am looking at that as an additional cost. I am hoping to have something that could double as a wifi system, but since I know nothing about wifis and surround sound, and until two weeks ago new zero about projectors, I didn't want to confuse myself more than I already have. I am assuming that I could get away with a sound system for just under £1000, but not sure how realistic that is.

Thanks for the tip. I am a bit more flexible (undecided) about the projector position, provided that it can sit in front and not distract or obstruct my view. Otherwise it will have to sit behind at 5.2m, which would then narrow it a bit. Which projectors are you considering?

BTW, you don't think 136inch is too big for your room size?

I think that if you place the projector behind your sitting place (5.2m) you might actually have a larger choice range of projectors, because I have the feeling that it's easier to find projectors with a throw ratio larger than 1.5, than projectors with a smaller throw ratio. And at that distance, you can consider an even larger screen. However, you'd probably have to mount it to the ceiling (or place it on a higher shelf), otherwise the projected image will be blocked by the people, right?

BTW, we haven't decided on the screen size yet, wife doesn't want something too large. I am considering anything between 100" and 150". I currently think 135" might be the best option. Such screen is about 3m wide, so it can definitely fit on our walls. I would actually like to mount the screen above the window, but the window is 3.5m so the bigger the screen, the better it will cover the window (although there will be curtains between, which can block the light coming through the sides). On the other hand, a screen bigger than 135" might be quite uncomfortable to watch from only ~4m away.

I am looking at that as an additional cost. I am hoping to have something that could double as a wifi system, but since I know nothing about wifis and surround sound, and until two weeks ago new zero about projectors, I didn't want to confuse myself more than I already have. I am assuming that I could get away with a sound system for just under £1000, but not sure how realistic that is.

By wifi i take it you mean a system that will play things like spotify or connect to your phone and play its music?

You definitely can get a surround sound system - with bluetooth and wifi connectivity for £1000. Just go demo a few. If you have a normal stereo hifi or even a bluetooth kitchen speaker with an aux in you could buy the projector first and then work out the sound.

For the projector id try and get one with a more flexible throw range and with good horizontal and vertical lens shift ; It'll make a big difference to how easy it is to install and allow you to choose the screen size that feels right for you.

That way you buy the projector put in on a stack of boxes at home and project onto your wall trying it out for a few days before you decide where and how you want to mount it (ceiling / wall / rear shelf) and how big a screen you want.

I think that if you place the projector behind your sitting place (5.2m) you might actually have a larger choice range of projectors, because I have the feeling that it's easier to find projectors with a throw ratio larger than 1.5, than projectors with a smaller throw ratio.

Depends on my price range I think. Unless I am mistaken, most of the BenQs have shorter throw ratios. I don't think I could fix any of those at 5.2m and get a 120inch image. I will need to check again. Only problem with 5.2m is that it would sit in the bay window (advertises break in an steal me) and in front of the radiator (which I imagine could mean overheating and fan noise). It would also be right behind our heads, which presumably is a no no for the load BenQs. I won't be able to ceiling mount, but I may be able to get a retro looking ladder and stick on top of that in the bay window.

On the other hand, a screen bigger than 135" might be quite uncomfortable to watch from only ~4m away.

Based on a bit of Pythagoras a 3m wide screen from 4m would give you a 41degree viewing angle. May be starting to be on the too wide side I think, though that depends on preference I suppose. My understanding is that you really want to aim for between 30 and 36 degrees (please correct me if I have misunderstood what I have read).

For the projector id try and get one with a more flexible throw range and with good horizontal and vertical lens shift ; It'll make a big difference to how easy it is to install and allow you to choose the screen size that feels right for you.

Thanks for the tips. I will definitely get projector first then move on to the rest. Any specific recommendations on the projector though? Any thoughts on the above models? Or the Epson 6700? or any other projector?

Based on a bit of Pythagoras a 3m wide screen from 4m would give you a 41degree viewing angle. May be starting to be on the too wide side I think, though that depends on preference I suppose. My understanding is that you really want to aim for between 30 and 36 degrees (please correct me if I have misunderstood what I have read).

Yes, that's probably what most website recommend about sitting position. But if you end up with a 30 degrees view, then what's the point of a projector compared to a good-old TV, and then just sit closer to it?

Hi guys. I need some buying guide too. Now I have an Acer H5381BD. I am building my first home cinema system. I would like to mount my projector to the ceiling but the problem is that the lamp in the room is in the way. It's right there where I should mount the projector. The screen is 90" and the top of the screen is about 40 cm away from the ceiling. My idea is that I sell the Acer (it's almoust new, about half year old with less then 100 hour) and buy an other projector which project the same size from close or far away. I would like to buy a used projector (720p/1080p, 3D). I have found these:
Optoma HD131X / 183X / GT760 (ST) /
Benq W1080ST+ / 770ST / 710ST
Epson TW6000 / TW5910 / TW5200
Infocus IN8606HD

Which one is the best? LCD or DLP, it's doesn't matter, I am not sensitive to the rainbow effect. The room can be darkened.

bobid

I dont class myself as a pure cinema fanatic, I joined here a few years ago, and lay dormant for quite a while, untill NOW, (nothing against Benq)
I live in a three bed roomed bungalow with the attic converted, and that is were i have my "bat cave"
My screen is a sapphire 77 inch pull down screen with an onyka 5.1 av system

About 5 or 6 years ago i purchased a Benq w1000+ projector.
All was going well untill about Jan this year when one night, NOTHING, completly dead,took it to an engineer , the main board was gone. The picture I had from this projector was amazing TBH.

Now purchased the Optoma HD27 from RS , landed yesturday, friday, 7th April, and as off today, soo far soo good, to my surprise , there is "image shift", if thats the same as lens shift?
I have started a new thread on the projectors section of this forum today, hoping to hear from other HD27 owners, and their calibration settings, ive seen a few settingas, , havnt got round to it yet.

Hope this helps, (a bit)

Last edited:
I don't think ceiling mounting is going to work (pendant light in the middle of the room)

I would like to mount my projector to the ceiling but the problem is that the lamp in the room is in the way.

To those who have the "lamp-in-the-way" problem, sorry for the dumb question, but have you thought about the possibility of removing the lamp or replacing it with a shorter lamp?

There are flat ceiling lamps that extend downward even less than 10cm, but probably you don't need to go that far, considering that the top of the projected image will be probably at least 20-30cm from the ceiling.

Alternatively you could even remove the ceiling lamp completely, and just light your room with side lamps.

To me it sounds easier to change the lamp than to rearrange everything else about your projector setup plan.

You seem to be on the right track. As already mentioned get the projector first then project onto the wall for a few days to find a size your comfortable with then go slightly larger as you'll get used to it in no time.

I used to have the w1070 and loved it, however the w2000 is supposed to be a better projector in every way so i would go for that if at all possible.

Thanks for the input guys. Ended up going for the W1110s. With 6 years warranty from RS.

Shortening the lamp is not really an option to be honest (projector is in the main living room, so decor has to be considered).

We have had to reconsider our entire plan with location and size of projector given the cost of the tab tensioned retractable of decent quality at the sizes we were looking at (£2,000+) and how having a screen would looked fixed to our chimney breast and running across the shelves in surrounding alcoves.

We are probably going to go for a small fixed screen. Maybe 1.5 meters wide, and sit much closer. Not huge, but better than my 13 inch laptop screen.

Problem now is I can't seem to find a fixed frame grey screen (something I think I need given the white walls and the poor blacks on the BenQ). Any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom