Help to a completly newbie

joaquimjssoares

Standard Member
Hi to All,

First of all let me warn you that I am really a newbie in this issues. All I know is press eject and play on my dvd player... So please be patient with my questions.

My excelent dvd player (a very old Emerson - I know that maybe nobody knows about it....) just died.
I would like to buy a new DVD player. So after reading a magazine, I decided that the best buy should be the Denon DV1930. When I went to the store to buy it the guy told me that that player have some issues with the lip sync, and that I should buy the Cambridge Audio DV89 that has the same image quality, the same price and no lip sync problem. I decided I had to investigate better this CA DV89, and I found this forum. What made things more confusing to me...
After reading some threads on this forum I decided that maybe I wanted the Oppo 981. Now will start my questions:
1)
My tv is a Samsung PS42V6S - 42" plasma TV - widescreen - 480p (also not new). The conector types are: 1 DVI, 1 component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) and 2 SCART. Can I connect the Oppo to my tv? I know it sounds weird, but I seem to remember that the Oppo has only HDM connector...

2)
With my old DVD player I used to see some degradee issues... it was really bad. Is this a problem of the TV or this could be a problem of the DVD player? I'm asking this because I read here something about Macroblocking (that I didn't know what it was, but after read about it, I think I recognize that to be my problem). Can a good dvd player solve this problem?

3)
Between this 3 DVD players, which one would you advise to me?

Thanks everybody for your time, and sorry for my english and long text

Cheers

JS

ManGina

Try repeating your question directly in the oppo981 thread. I can't help you myself but Nic Rhodes is knowledgable and should be able to.

F

Fvet

I think you should be able to connect the oppo to the dvi input with a hdmi-dvi connector.

the big benefit of the oppo is the way it upscales dvd's to near hd quality - and it really does.
so if you only have a SD tv, it wont be put to full use.

unless you are planning to get a full hd tv in the near future then you might be able to get something cheaper that performs as well with SD.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom