1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!! The Carphone Warehouse

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by tony m, Apr 23, 2003.

1. tony m

tony m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need some advice from people, who have been down this road

Bought a sony J70 in Dec
    3weeks ago the display disapeared,
    the phone worked but no display at all
    took it back then and a letter came today
    Stating that it was a "serious non warranty fault"
    it goes on to say
    it was prob water damage,extreme heat.or physically damaged
    I know for a fact the sony has not come into contact with any
    of the above. I look after my stuff
    Now then, when i go to the shop Thur what is my best course of action
    Any pointers and i will be very grateful
    many thanks
    Tony

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sad to say that the most unfortunate things can happen to mobiles without you even realising. The problem is that if they have pulled your phone apart and found some kind of damage, and it was purchased from new, then you haven't got a leg to stand on I'm afraid.

However, if in fact there is nothing physically damaged inside the phone and a component has failed then you are totally covered by your warranty.

Demand that a technician opens up the phone to prove that there is definite shock damage to the electronics. If there isn't then they will have a tough time claiming it as a non-warranty job.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    Water damage, extreme heat or physical damage....

I'd have thought each of these would have obvious physical signs, the latter two especially on the outside of the case! I think that if they put up a struggle you will have to get a second opinion from another repair centre.

Gordon

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon & Tony,

Sorry guys, I used to repair phones to supplement my pitiful student loan. The Sony's do not have the greatest build quality on earth, and certain shocks can damage the innards without marking the case.

I repaired a Nokia 6210 once with a pristine case, and a SNAPPED part of the LCD, not visible from outside the phone - it had taken a light knock and we thought that it was just a loose connection.

That's why I suggest getting the phone opened in front of you - that we both parties can be certain of the damage.

5. tony m

tony m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all
    will follow those tips
    I take your point about the very slightest knock can damage
    the inside electronics
    But is the sony so fragile that using it as normal is a risk?
    thanks again
    Tony

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I'd suggest that if a phone can come apart internally through a slight knock, with no damage visible on outside, then it is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE it is sold and should be replaced under sale of goods act anyway. This in itself is unacceptable.

Gordon

7. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with you 100% Gordon, the build quality on most mobiles is apalling.

However, the manufacturers are quite clear on what constitutes acceptable use and the conditions of their warranty. This is the price we pay for wanting feature packed but lightweight compact phones, they are not as you say, fit for purpose, but market forces have made them that way.

8. Karma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have to say i have always found the Carphone Warehouse to be very fair in it's dealings....however as with all shops local staff attitude can vary from region to region.

You are absolutely covered by the sale of goods act which in recent months has become an even stronger aid to the consumer.

The goods should be fit for the purpose that they are to be used for, and should be expected to last for a resonable amount of time.

Reasonable time has yet to be defined, but there are a number of test cases that have forced suppliers of goods to replace or repair high value items even beyond the "one year guarantee" period.

In one case a TV had to be replaced by the dealer after three and a half years when a small claims court judge decreed it would be reasonable to expect a £2000 wide screen tv to last for longer than that.

Take the phone back to the shop, explain the sale of goods act. They have to prove that you have damaged it, or prove that it isn't a manufacturing fault. The onus is on them, not you.

If the conditions that the CPW claims have happened to your phone haven't happened they are going to have a hard time proving a negative....if you still have no luck go to your local trading Standards Office (telphone number will be in the book) Or you can go to the small calims court...again the TSO will advise.

Good luck!

9. tony m

tony m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help on this
    will pop into cw frid
    cheers