Help the Aged - 43"

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Reznik2018, Aug 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Reznik2018

Reznik2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone. I’m looking to treat my mother to a TV upgrade as her old Samsung UE32H5500AK is on its last legs, and if anyone can offer me advice on the most suitable TV I would be terribly grateful.

Unfortunately due to the positioning of the TV unit in the living room, 43 inch is the max size. Her viewing angle is off-centre, switching between 10 and 30 degrees depending on choice of sofa. She loves watching films so will be using it mostly for Netflix, Prime, BBC HD and Blu-rays. Once OLEDs eventually become available in 43s (2020?), this TV will be relegated to the bedroom, where she’d prefer to watch it with TV headphones.

Budget is around £600. (I’ve also set aside additional money for a decent soundbar with sub.)

I think I’ve narrowed it down to either the LG 43UJ670V or Samsung UE43NU7470 (although the latter’s viewing angles concern me). Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

2. Angelo M

Angelo M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
  3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Which panel type do you want?
    IPS vs VA: Comparing LCD types found in TVs

The viewing angle on a VA TV should be okay at 30, more than that though and you may notice its worse.

Most 43" TVs are IPS, there are some exceptions. Not sure what panel you'll get on that Samsung. Usually its an IPS type but lucky purchasers recently on the forum claim to have ones with VA panels.

4. Reznik2018

Reznik2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, Angelo. As IPS panels go, I do like the look of that LG 43UK6470.

Am I correct in assuming her current Samsung UE32H5500AK will be IPS, Dodgexander?

There was a UE43NU7470 at my local Curry's with a sticker on it claiming it to be VA. But honestly, the TV was positioned so high up I couldn't work out at what angle the picture would deteriorate when sat in her living room.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    It will be VA. Possibly a newer VA panel has worse viewing angles too:

Samsung NU7100 Review (UN40NU7100, UN43NU7100, UN50NU7100, UN55NU7100, UN58NU7100, UN65NU7100, UN75NU7100) - RTINGS.com
    Samsung H5500 Review (UN32H5500, UN40H5500, UN48H5500) - RTINGS.com

But you said within 30 degrees so if that is right no need to worry about a VA panel. That must be 30 degrees from the centre of the TV either side.

Samsung its a lottery what you get though, hopefully they changed the 43" TVs to VA this year, past two years they have been a mix of IPS and VA at that size, sometimes within the same region selling with 2 different panel types on the same tv.

You will be better off going for last years 40" models. MU61 and MU64 series rather than NU71 and NU74.

6. Reznik2018

Reznik2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the Samsung MU recommendations. The UE40MU6120 is priced £349 on Richer Sounds and comes with a 6-year guarantee (which is nice). The UE40MU6400, meanwhile, is £419 via HiFi Confidential.

I believe the latter has a wider colour spectrum, but is this a noticeable improvement or pretty much wasted on a 40” when watching Netflix and blu-rays”?

I’ve also read that the 6120 has no Bluetooth yet the 6100 model (seemingly out of stock) does which is a bit baffling. That said, the viewing angles for the 6120 look decent in this video:
    BEST Budget 4k HDR Gaming Tv - £379...

How would you rate the Panasonic TX40EX700B (£414 on Richer Sounds) compared to the Samsungs?

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    You're right, the more expensive Samsung has the wide colour gamut. It's only useful for HDR. So with her usage it will give more colours when a HDR source is played.

Some shows on Netflix will be in HDR.
    And if she watches things like the BBC iPlayer trials with HDR too.

So whilst it's a good idea to have the wider colour gamut it's likely not going to be used that much. Most content is certainly going to be SDR still.

The Panasonic 40EX700 is the Samsung MU64 equal with the wide colour gamut whilst the 40EX600 is the MU61 equal.

The Samsung models probably have the edge with smart TV (if you don't mind ads that is) but both smart TVs have all the apps you need and the Panasonic does have Freeview play which is nice.

The Panasonic also doesn't perform 3:2 pulldown with films and TV series shot at 24hz either but I don't think she would notice pulldown judder, most people don't.

The Samsung models lack a headphone port but depending on the revision some come with Bluetooth audio support. The Panasonic models however do have a headphone jack.

Samsung's model number scheme is confusing, indeed the suffix with 20 or 70 seem to actually be cut down versions without Bluetooth, maybe without the smart remote too, sometimes there are just aesthetic differences but I'm not certain. there's too many specific model numbers to remember. You'll best ask Samsung about that.

8. Reznik2018

Reznik2018
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having weighed up the pros and cons, I think the UE40MU6400 is the best option for now. She's familiar with the Samsung Smart TV interface/features and its various quirks, and I'm sure the MU64 will serve her well as a living room TV until the next big upgrade in a couple of years. Now to pair it with a good sound system...

Thanks again for your help, Dodgexander. I really appreciate it.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Should be more than enough for her and I think you made the right decision.