Help, swamped by too much info - New media player needed. :)

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by holbrook99, Feb 28, 2014.

1. holbrook99

holbrook99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Okay so I know there are lots of threads in regards to this and I HAVE been trying to do my research BUT I just can't seem to come to a conclusion...

I currently have a Boxee Box and I really like it. However I have retired it to my sons bedroom along with my 2TB external hard drive so that he can access his own collection of kids movies...

So, I was going to buy a new Boxee for my living room but stopped short when I heard that it might stop working soon and even if that wasn't true I am now using a 4tb external hard drive to house my movie collection and a new Boxee Box wouldn't recognize that...

The reason I've failed to come to a conclusion in regards to a replacement is that I am after something quite specific:

-- I want something that works out of the box, I do not want to build a HTCP.
    -- I want something that will scan my hard drive and give me a list of my movies with coverart, synopsis, imdb ratings ect.
    -- I want something that can sort subtitles as my movie rips never have hardcoded subs for foreign speaking parts.
    -- I want something that has Airplay.
    -- I want something that can accept 4tb external hard drives.

So that's kind of it, 5 things I want, anything else is a bonus, but I can't seem to find a player that nails all of the above...Can anybody help with suggestions? -- The Little Black Box seems ideal as advertised but the bad reviews across the board have put me off.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul :)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Ouya android console and use it just for XBMC which is in it's app store, faster hardware than whats in TLBB.

Alternatively a Popcornhour but much more expensive better at handling raw BD/DVD but if all your playing are rips then the ouya xbmc should be fine.

3. holbrook99

holbrook99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Yeah just rips on a 4TB hard drive. I just want all the movies to be listed like the Boxee with coverart, synopsis, IMDB rating etc. I just have the files on the hard drive so need the box to scan and collect all the posters etc from online or whatever it does.

Airplay is a bonus.
    Must have Wi-Fi.

How does this Ouya thing source subtitles? Opensubs like Boxee?

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,127
    Boxee was a fork of XBMC so XBMC does subs, airplay, the coverart/metadata and so on. There is even a pretty convincing boxee skin for XBMC. XBMC is just the app running on the ouya device, think app store.

However I double checked on 4TB hard drives which turns out are not supported apparently so that rules out the ouya unfortunately.

Popcornhour ticks all the boxes but as I said more expensive but it does what your looking for with 4TB USB drive support, airplay, subs, movie jukebox, no wifi but they sell a usb wifi dongle that should work with it.

The other XBMC solutions out there are a mixed bag like the vidonme unit only goes up to 3TB drives. It's mostly the DIY HTPC units that do 4TB drives, there might be some android box out there that does 4TB but I couldn't tell you which one. There are some other things on the horizon that may work but not yet available.

5. holbrook99

holbrook99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I think I could be leaning to the Popcorn hour A400 then. Wi-Fi isn't a huge deal I could run an ethernet cable under the carpet or something. So if Popcorn hour ticks all the boxes for me then I think that;s what I'll go for.

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me my answers. :)