Help! Subwoofer Placement

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by John Citizen, Jan 2, 2018.

1. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello!

I have a sherwood sw 10 in my office which is a square room about 3 by 3 and the bass from it seems to be escaping outside of my room, Or into points where the listening position is nt. can you guys help me to find where I can put the sub or, how I can focus the bass.b

Attached Files:

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have troed this and there is no loud spots. At all.

4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Well from the picture you aren`t sitting at the center of the room which would be worst place. I would put the sub in front corner and then check your settings.

Check the manual of that sub. The knobs should be like;

- Frequency X-over to max hz (all the way to right)
    - Phase 0
    - Level / Gain / Volume knob to 12clock

I am not familiar with Pioneer MCACC but if you do the autosetup with these settings you can change the subwoofer level at the menu afterwards. It might be just that MCACC put`s the subwoofer so "light", so you have to change the level by lowering the minus db number. Do it at the menu, don`t touch the knobs behind sub anymore.

Now play something bass heavy. You can change the level while you listen. If still not good, keep playing it and walk behind your listening place, check that if the bass is much louder if you go further away.. Who knows you might still be sitting in "dead spot".

5. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, what crossover what you recomend?

6. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    See what MCACC put`s them, don`t go lower than those. Rather put them higher if they came around 60hz. I can`t find A-1 200? If the main speakers are similar to your center Wharfedale Xarus (4" drivers), then 100hz would be fine. Change speaker size all Small after MCACC setup, if came as large.

Wharfedale Xarus XR-Centre - BLK

7. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wharfedale at 200 se, bigish bookshelf speakers.

8. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    So mains; Wharfedale Atlantic AT-200se Bookshelf Speaker Auction (0018-164678) | GraysOnline Australia

Surrounds; ALTO620 6” Two-Way High Gloss Bookshelf Speakers | Sherwood

Pioneer avr`s are usually known for global crossovers, meaning you need to stick with one certain crossover for each speaker. And in this case you need to go with the lowest performing speaker on your system, which is the small center speaker with 4" drivers. Frequency response 80hz - 24kHz, no info -3db/-6db? . As we saw with similar size Q Acoustics 3090c (measurements) it`s better to use higher crossover. I would put 100hz crossovers to play safe. And yeah speaker size small all.

Also do not change the distance number for subwoofer (usually different to speakers although similar real distance).

Keep playing with the subwoofer level after MCACC run. You should get louder bass when the subwoofer is placed in front corner. Some subs like SVS need to be run with higher gain/volume than others, i don`t know about your sub. Also it`s worth to check what number it gives you for subwoofer level with the gain/volume knob at 12clock. It might be too high setting or spot on. Usually the sub level tells it. Try to stay away from maximum numbers like -12db = turn the volume/gain knob lower at 10clock and run the MCACC again to get lower level. You can tweak the level afterwards as it seems many people feels bass is lacking after running it. And what i mean by tweaking is lowering that number.

9. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have put the sub in the front corner and done what you said and the subwoofer makes more than enough bass it just that the sweet spot for the sub doesnt exist at front.
    So i have the atlantic going as large as their Rms is 165 not 100, and can handle the bass. As they are huge bookshlef speakers. As small sets the bass to the sub which the bass escapes the room, so the wharfedales are producing most of the bass atm.

10. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I am trying tk to is move the sweet spot to the listening environment, additionally, jow does the phase nub which is 0-180 variable, impact the sound? Or anyhting

11. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And what do you mean global crossover? Sorry for my bad typing and haphazard messgaes im typing on an ancient phone.

12. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    Well move around the sub more if you feel it doesn`t sound good, try either side of your speakers (inside example). Leave the phase to 0!

People have large towers and they still use speaker size small. Of course in that case the guy probably has many times better subwoofer (which plays ~15-80hz area nicely) as you have small & cheap. But anyway the right way would be keeping them small. Global crossovers means you can`t select crossovers individually for each speakers (LR, Center, Surrounds). Now because of your small center speaker you would use 100hz crossovers for each speakers. If you could select them freely for each, 80hz would be fine for fronts and surrounds (both were bookshelfs with 6,5" drivers) and center ~100hz. But you can`t, so you`ll stick to ~100hz.

Your center has; 2x4" drivers, frequency response 80hz-... But the manufacturer didn`t say is it -3bd figure. I really doubt it. These are usually "bogus" numbers as we saw with Q Acoustics. That`s why it`s usually recommended to bump that lowest freq number by 10-20. And then you are at 100hz which is still fine. Takes some "weight" of from your speakers and avr aswell.

Your subwoofer should the area of 40- 80hz better than your bookshelfs with 6,5" mid-bass drivers. Notice your subwoofer is much more capable with 10" driver and own amp. Your speakers power handling doesn`t mean you should play them as full range. Why would you play the same area with speakers and sub? Put them to small and crossovers 90-100hz. Or if you don`t believe all the professionals that recommends this advice, then just do what you like. :)

13. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, also do you know of any way to minimise vobration fro the sub without paying? Diy.

And what does the phase do on the sub?

14. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    You mean vibration to floors or does it move around? I have no personal experience either. What people use here was slab of granite i think. You should find many threads by googling.

Subwoofer phase

15. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear gasp,

I have tried the method of having the speakers as small however the sounds loses alot of the richness and the musical clarity which is what wharfedales are renowned for (The wharfedales do the high, vocals, musically) flawlessely, however the weak point is the intergreation with the subwoofer. As the bass is clean and is rather muddy, however my question is:

1. How do I move the sweet spot of the sub to the listening position?
    2. How do mantain the clarity joy of the wharfedales without lossing bass and making distortion?
    P.S The receiver has more then enough power, 140 wat per channel, 6 ohm (which is what their playing at).

Also I have changed the placement of room.

Attached Files:

16. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917
    I sent you pm for longer reply, there is many things to be changed..

17. John Citizen

John Citizen
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the benefit of having the speakers in an equilateral triangle?

18. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +917