Question Help, Stuck with a bose system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Blademaster, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Blademaster

Blademaster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    First and foremost thanks to avforums for providing a wonderful platform for newbies like me to post questions and get professional answers for my problems

Now to begin with my problem,

I was fortunate enough(or not) to get a Bose acoustimass 10 or 15 ( I dont know which one) without the Bass module and with a Yamaha RXV-795 AMP from my dad.

I want to hook this up to my TV. So I have connected the TV to the amp with optical cable, and connected the sats directly to the amp. I have not started using this system because of two reasons.
    1) I dont have anything to play the lower freqs.
    2) I have read a bit on this where it says if I use the bose sats without its bass module then there is a chance that I will end up with a dead amp.

My question to you guys is.

a) Can I use any other sub(suggest some model pls) and connect the sats directly to the amp.( I read something about setting a High crossover though I have no idea what that is or if my amp supports that setting).

b) If not that then how do I get this system up and running?

c) How good is my amp in today's world? (can you relate this to any computer component so I can understand where it stands, eg. its like an i7 5820X or gtx 780)?

d) Any noob friendly guide where I can learn about audio basics?

Please note, any help on this matter is highly appreciated.
    I thank you guys for taking out the time to read this.
    Thanking you pros in anticipation.

2. vinnythevid

vinnythevid
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The passive "sub" in the acoustimass system contains crossovers to prevent the small satellite units from being blown to smithereens by low frequency signals. I have no idea of the impedance of the satellites (this is the characteristic that will potentially harm your amp - very low impedance is particularly bad I think), but provided it's somewhere between 4 and 8 ohms you should be able to connect them to your amp via a high pass filter or just the HF side of a passive crossover, then add an active sub. It will probably never sound that great - they were hardly the last word in sound quality in the first place).

your best bet might be to find an acoustimass passive sub on eBay or just sell the satellites off as spares and buy new speakers.

hope this helps :)

3. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    Bose cubes require the bose midwoofer, you need to find out. Send all speaker cables from the Yamaha into the Bose module, then speaker cable from the module into the speakers. Set all speakers to large, subwoofer to off.

That Yamaha is similar to 700 series AVR so probably something around £500.

I'd just sell the Bose and get a decent L/R pair something like Q Acoustics 2020i.

For basics go to youtube and watch setting up home cinema, or pickup a couple of magazines to understand what each component is (source, scaling, AVR, integrated, pre-amp, power amplifer, speakers, subwoofer, display, audio/video cables, recording devices, EQ)

4. Blademaster

Blademaster
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay, I'm going with what you audiophiles are saying.
    I will purchase a new system and use my existing receiver.
    Till then I was thinking to connect my old aiwa speakers to this amp. they are 2 front big speakers about 15"(450mm) and 2 small rear speakers. the only problem is that I dont have any old Sub, except a standalone system like this or this, so can i connect only the sub to the receiver ?

5. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303