1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Stuck on choice

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jools230575, Apr 25, 2005.

1. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

Yesterday I was given some very good advice regarding the Canon EOS 350D

As of yet I have yet to purchase a new camera.

My problem is this. At work today the good old doubt was put in mind as to what camera I should go for.

I have two choices in my mind

1) Canon EOS 350D

or

2) Nikon Coolpix 8800 (for convenience sake)

HELP :lease:

Anyone able to offer up pros and cons on each????

2. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Only you can make the choice, but as I said yesterday I would go for the 350D. Your stuck with the one lens on the 8800 Any dslr has got to be better IMO.

ASH

3. mighty_boosh

mighty_boosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can tell you that the 350D is an excellent camera. The images are crisp and very noise free. While I have never used the Nikon, its specs look good, but from what I've read it has noise even at low ISO settings and suffers from the usual compact issues of shutter lag and AF speed.

It really boils down to what you want to take pictures of. If you need to rely on good camera performance then go down the SLR route, if convenience is of greater importance then take the compact route.

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Different animals entirely - depends what you're after really. If you're considering an alternative to the 350D then the D70 makes sense, if small size is important then no SLR is for you. The 350D might have a small body but the whole idea is to buy glass and that means space.

5. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What am I after?

Well. I wish to have the facility to do the following.

Good shots during the day.

Facility to zoom. Not to great lengths though. Maybe up to 5 times optical zoom. My (cuurent camera) Fujifilm A310 does 3 times optical which is just a touch too short for my liking.

The ability to take night shots. When I take night shots I usually just set my Fuji on slow synchro. The Fuji slowest shutter speed on the Fuji is 0.5 second. I'd like to have the ability to do thos wonderful night time shots where you see the traffic lights streaking like long beams of light

The ability to do those nice macro shots of flowers. Nice close-ups.

and finally

If I want to publish my photos properly in a book (pie-in-the-sky) to have a camera that will give me the required quality.

That's my requirements and that's why I feel stuck

I know both cameras are equally capable of the above but it is just the agony of choice :suicide:

Bugger :confused:

6. mighty_boosh

mighty_boosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,481
    Just taken a look at the 8800, it is massive for a compact camera, so I don't understand where this convenience is comming from...

Do yourself a favour and just get the 350D especially considering the price of the 8800...Or alternatively if you also want something small...Get the 300D for GBP450 and get yourself a compact camera as well for when you don't want to take an SLR with you...

8. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    After reading your spec of what you want from the camera, I would say you definitely should go down the dslr route.

ASH1 :smashin:

9. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Both the cameras that you have mentioned are great but there may be others more suited to the requirements that you have posted.

Both are bulky to carry around, the 8800 will do all that you want well, but it is large. The EOS would need more than one lens to excel at both macro and 5x zoom, e.g. the EF 28 - 135mm (almost 5x zoom) only focusses down to 0.5m, so you would need a lens with good macro capability as well.

Have you considered the Pentax Optio750Z. It gives excellent image quality, is 7MP, has a 5X zoom, top macro performance down to 1cm (better than specced), shutter to 15 seconds for those night shots, a flip out & twist viewfinder (great for macro), tons of other features and is small enough to put in your pocket. Best of all it's much cheaper than the 8800 or the 350D.

Pentax Optio 750z

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It all dpends on what you want out of the cameras the 350 should be 30 secs i'm not sure if it has a bulb setting like the 20D where you can leave it open for as long as you wish. But you don't need that length for the shots like that, i've done that with compacts.

You're going to need different lenses if you get the 350, that's actually a good thing but only if that's what you want.

11. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I use an S60 as a carrry around and figure that 90% of the time it gives me useable output that'd compare to the 20D at 10*8. The big adnvtange is that it is always close by, as compared to the 20D that i only have around when i plan to take pictures.

12. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

Yes the 350D does go down to bulb, but it only has an iso up to 1600 compared to the 3200 on the 20D.

ASH1

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  14. mighty_boosh

mighty_boosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But if you shoot raw at 800 and stop down 2 you can push the image +2 to acheive similar results. You could effectively shoot ISO 1600 and get 6400 using this technique. The results are not that bad after post-processing.

This example was shot at 1/60 at ISO1600 with exposure compensation set at -2. Pushed to +2 in DPP and some noise removal in Photoshop.

Anyway, for long exposures you don't need high iso.

Attached Files:

15. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

It wasn't meant as a criticism. :rolleyes: I have a 350D and find it very good. I know you don't need a high ios for long exposures but it helps for certain dusk/night shots. Some people are so quick to throw the rattle out of the pram. :D

ASH1 ;)

16. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It also pushes up the shutter speed lets not forget that.

I've not used used 3200 much though i have to say. I spent almost 5 ton more for the 16-35 over the 17-40 because i'd rather have the extra stop.

17. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,764
    That Nikon looks about as big as the 350D so the only real convenience with this camera is the fact that it doesn't need you to buy any more lenses - although that can be seen as a big minus point as you can't change the lens if you want to get more creative. If it were me and I could afford it, I would go for the 350D as I'm sure you'd get better results from it.

18. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Given the choice between the two listed I'd go for the 350D every time.

19. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you people!

Well. Today I went to Jessops and collected a Canon EOS350D :D

Only been playing with it for 15 minutes but I am very chuffed. It is like another world. I know that this weekend I will be doing one thing only. Learning my new camera.

The other nice thing is that I think I got a pretty good deal out of Jessops

Camera, 2GB SanDisk Ultra II Flash Card, Extended Warranty (I wanted to be safer than sorry!!) Bag, Extra battery. £900

When added up to the normal price of all the above I saved myself about 100 quid.

Chuffed :clap:

20. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Good choice, :thumbsup: and happy snapping.

ASH1 :smashin: