help/ str-va55es and sub prob

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Korben Dallas, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got myself my first home cinema system and I am having trouble setting it up. I have the Sony STR-VA555ES av reciever and acoustic energy aegis evo 3b speaker package.
    I have connected everything up and sound is coming out everywhere apart from the sub. DTS / DD all no probs just the damn sub wont make a noise.
    The power is on . It's connected to the amp with a phono to phono cable. Speakers are set to small. Crossover freq is set to 50 hz , tried it with others as well. Amp is set to "subwoofer - yes " .

set the sub woofers cut off freq as high as possible as the manual says. Also played around with it to see if it made any diffrence and it didnt. Still no sound.

What am I not doing that is staring me in the face. Please help as I really want to try out my system with it all set up

I posted in the amp section as I thought that was where the solution was and not the sub its self

thanks in advance

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    First the obvious ... check that

1) you have a power cable going into you sub, that no fuse has blown and that the power outlet is working.
    2) you have a signal cable from the Pre-Out marked either sub or LFE to the low level input on your sub ... this will probably be a phono connector at each end. Also try swapping this lead with another known working lead if you can.
    3) the volume control on the sub isn't turned all the way down ... for testing set it about midway.

Once you have checked this ... check that

3) in the setup you have told the amp that you have a subwoofer.

then run the test tone.

Whith anyluck, you should now get white noise (or pink or blue noise ... whichever it is thats used for test tones) out of each speaker in turn, including the sub.

Victoria

3. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done all that. When I select the test noise does come out off every speaker but not the sub. Thats why I am confused to why nothings happening with the sub.

4. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    go to subwoofer level in the levels setup menu and click right arrow on remote to bring level upto 0db-if its right down in the menu it will say off.

5. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was already at 0db. There is a light flashing on the amp sometimes that has LFE underneath it .

Just tried connecting it to the subwoofer phono point on the dvd player ( pioneer 606d) and turned the subwoofer on in dvd players settings to see if it plays with the players decoder. Still nothing. Looks like I have one dead sub.

6. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Have you connected the subwoofer pre-out on the AV reciever to the subwoofer line input?

7. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes

8. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    I know this is a really dense question ... but you have connected the subwoofer to the relevant Pre-Output and not to the subwoofer "input" on the 5(6).1 input?

I only ask cause I've seen others connect the cable to the wrong connecter as they are both labled "sub" usually.

Victoria

9. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the amp there are two points for a sub in the pre out section. I have tried both incase I had put the cable in the wrong point...it didnt make a bit of difference. But when I take the cable out and put it back in at the moment the cable touches the amps sub point the amp makes a small humming/ buzz noise

10. Korben Dallas

Korben Dallas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The damn thing has decided to work now. I havent touched for hours and it is suddenly kicked in all by itself. Dunno if it decided it needed to warm up or what.

anyway thanks to

sounddog

stranger

cybersoga

for your advice. It was greatly appreciated. Nice to see a forum where you actually get help instead of the usual flaming there is on others.

thanks again