Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

HELP - Stereo Amp or AV Receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by barry roubaix, Sep 15, 2005.

1. barry roubaix

barry roubaix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm wanting to amalgamate all my music and video into one 'system', I've just sold my Technics mini system so I'm looking for an amp to play all my various elements through. Problem I've got is that my wife doesn't want cables and load of speakers all over our newly decorated room! So its two speakers I'm afraid!

I have a Pioneer 575 DVD which I'll use for both dvds and cds, a project Debut SB turntable and a Sony Freeview box (which only has a digital coax out). So what I'm after is an amp that will input all these elements (the turntable already has a phono stage) play good stereo music but that also might create a 'virtual' surround when watching dvds.

I know AV receivers have all the inputs I need but suffer on the stereo music front - do any intergrated amps have digital inputs?

I'm not very experienced with all this and have a budget of £250 -£300 for the amp. As my wife wants some stylish speakers we are thinking of a pair of B&W M1 to play all this through.

Any recommendations?

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Dude

If your only concerned with 2 speakers then a stereo amp is a must, note that you can add a subwoofer to a stereo amp at a later date, this also does wonders when watching DVD-Vs IME. Next up I note you have a Freeview + DVD player, this puts you in DAC territory.

Best place to read about the points above is over on the Hifi Separates forum :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Special attention is given those forsaking 5.1 for stereo :smashin: .

Everything from Stereo V 5.1, DVD (and other digital devices) + DACs, Adding subs off stereo amps.

But definitely start with a stereo amplifier say a Rotel RA-01/02. Or buy something second hand, there are loads of good buys about amp wise.

3. barry roubaix

barry roubaix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - pardon my ignorance but what does DAC stand for?

4. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital to Analogue Converter

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    What about one of those yamaha sound projectors, which gives you actual surround sound from 1 speaker. Won't be as good in stereo as a seperate stereo amp (but was never ment to be), and won't be as good as proper 5.1+ system, but will give you actual surround sound from 1 speaker and no wires trailing around the room.

Otherwise I aggree with the seperate stereo amp, and 2.1 system. Not sure about video switching with a stereo amp though.

6. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's only one thing that really comes to my mind: the Denon D-M51 DVS Micro Multiregion DVD System. This is a dvd-player with virtual surround from just two boxes and a subwoofer, it's got a great cd-player in it (a lot better than your dvd-player) has quite a bit of power (but don't use it in really large rooms) and is very nice to look at as well. Only thing it doesn't have is a component connection. Also try to get it without the added boxes and subwoofer, the subwoofer is horrible to look at, and you can get way better boxes.

7. barry roubaix

barry roubaix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - I've had a look on the internet at this. It certainly ticks all the boxes, as you say the sub is a bit ugly but presumably you can hide these or covee them up?

BTW Have you watched or listened to one?