Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help - spotlights going out!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mikehoult, Mar 16, 2005.

1. mikehoult

mikehoult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have several 12v 50w halogen recessed lights in my flat, some of which have just stopped working. I think it's something to do with the transformers. All the bulbs worked at some point and some still flash on for a second, changing bulbs doesn't help and some work only when adjacent bulb is removed. Some work fine. They seem to be in pairs so presume 2 bulbs share each transformer?? And presume transformers are 105w+, so why have they started packing up??
    Sick of having showers in dark (one pair don't work, get 3 mins out of the other!) and getting nagged....please help!!
    Mike

2. Alexg

Alexg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like it is the transformers, I often get calls to faulty down lighters and its often the transformers, main reason is people not using high enough wattage transformers for the lights they are running.
    Run down to your local Electrical wholesaler and pick up a couple of new ones, go for osram as they are better quality over such makes as JCC and Eterna.

3. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Try www.screwfix.com, cpc.co.uk. tlc electrical

Wattage of the transformer should exceed total wattage of the bulbs ie for 3 x 50W get a 160 or 200W transformer.

4. mikehoult

mikehoult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you, but I don't understand how they worked once, some for a few weeks, some for a couple of years...would the transformers reach a burn out point? Or would a blown bulb do anything to 'break' it? Also, Is it quite easy to change the transformers, I tried pulling the wire down and only saw an electrical connector thing...
    Thanks for your advice
    MIKE

5. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    How easy it is to change depends on it's size in relation to the hole! Mine are accessible from above (floorboards).

You do get dodgy batches of bulbs and I guess the life of a transformer depends on the hours of usage and the load. A blown bulb won't cause any problems.