1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help, Speakers to hide my wall mount Plasma

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chelleon, Jul 20, 2004.

1. chelleon

chelleon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    I Have just bought a Panny TH37PE30 and the wall mount bracket. This is where the fun begins because of the shape of the panny the bracket has an extra 6cm of clearance making the gap from wall to back of Plasma 8cm.

This doesn't sound like a lot but is visible when entering the room and looks ugly.

:confused: What I need are some cool silver flush fitting wall mount speakers long enough to hide the gap and not too deep as to look silly.

I am new to this whole game but they will connect to my Marantz 5.1 amp.

ANY IDEAS WOULD BE GRATEFULLY RECEIVED!! Before the wife throws me out for having a huge screen protruding from the wall with the bracket clearly visable.

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  3. chelleon

chelleon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi, Thanks for the info, They do look nice if slightly pricey for my meager spend?? I have seen another setup that also looks cool but don't think I can buy the speakers seperately?

Anybody know where I can get the Jamo A355PP speakers without the DVR50 DVD Player

Also does anybody know if these are any good?

I could always tell the wife that the VM1's were 500 quid :)

4. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm in a similar position (but for different reasons) and have also looked at the B&W FPM... although they are well outside my budget.

I have also considered the Jamos (A355/A3Sub.5)... they look really nice and the sound is pretty good (at least from an 'open floor' demo at Sevenoaks)... you can certainly buy these as a 5.1 or 6.1 speaker package without the dvd player - I got a price of around £7-800 for a 6.1 setup but my only 'issue' was that the speakers use small springclips instead of binding posts (and the guys at the shop said it might be difficult to use QED SA (which I've already run!)... so I'm undecided.

I am going to demo the Kef5005's this weekend (hopefully) and hope to be in a better decision making position after that!... The Kef's will probably not 'hide' all of the gap but should make it less obvious... will let you know how I get on.

Alternatives are: Artcoustic, M&K, Kef9000ACE... but all very expensive...

Derry

5. chelleon

chelleon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Thanks for the info Derry, I will have to re-run cable anyway so the Jamo A355's are still on my list then.
    I have seen the Panasonic SC-ST1S setup ranging from £750+ (John Lewis) to £430 (PRC-Direct, etc) This is a bit of a "cop out" in that the DVD player is on a stalk, however it looks good, but I'm not sure about the sound as I have no idea where to demo them.
    Anybody rate this set up?

Grant

6. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey Grant... sorry, didn't get to do any demo's last weekend, so can't update you... however, I have booked the following for demo this weekend:

B&W FPM4's
    KEF 5005 & 9000 (for direct sound comparison)
    Monitor Audio Radius 180/90's
    Jamo A355/A3Sub.5

I know there is a big price differential between some of the above but I want to check whether there is a big sound differential (to my ears)... anyway, I'll post next week following the demo's.

Have you bought any speakers yet?

Derry

7. chelleon

chelleon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi Derrry,

Thanks for the update and yes I have bought my speakers.

Kef 2005.2

I went to demo in Cheshire and when I heard them they had to come home with me!!! :clap:

I did get a listed to the Jamo but the Kef's won hands down.

I have matched this with my Marantz and and coupled with a progressive scan DVD player and the Panny TH-37PE30 it is awsome!!!

Let me know how your demo goes.

Grant

8. drgoni

drgoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok... demo update.

Listened to the B&W FPM's at Grahams in Islington and although they were very good, they were not amazing. I felt there was an obvious lack of detail... sure, lots of "noise" but to my ears, these were disappointing overall. It was quite good luck meeting up again with John (the guy doing the demo), who sold me my original Proac/Cyrus stereo system when he worked for AudioT and he is an enthusiastic and knowledgeable gentleman. For "fun" he hooked up 3 little Royd speakers (can't remember their name but they're no longer made and are £700 a pair) at the front with a couple of M&K rears/sub and now the sound was crisp, clear and detailed... particularly dialogue and glass breaking (ball-bearing explosion in Swordfish). Although I thought about this setup, it just would not fit in with the redesigned style of the room.

Next on to Musical Images in Covent Garden and the KEF9000 v 5005 (purely for comparision). Again, I have to admit that I was pretty disappointed. Although the 9000's were very good and noticeably better than the 5005 (which you'd expect), I was not "blown away" by them and I couldn't reconcile that these were £2.5K worth of speakers (plus extra for the sub). To my ears, there was a distinct lack of detail or openess. I guess I was expecting to be wow'ed but overall, both were disappointing.

Finally, on to Sevenoaks and a listen to the Monitor Audio Radius (R180 centre/R90 fronts and rears/MA sub). Actually, these were not too bad and at around £1k, IMHO represented better value - with the caveat that they were not perfect aurally or aesthetically. MA have recently brought out an addition to this range - the R225 and Sevenoaks have ordered a set for me to demo shortly. [Didn't get to listen to the Jamo package in the end].

Overall, a relatively disappointing day and further confirmation (if this was needed) that extra money does not necessarily mean better sound. To conclude, I will listen to the MA R225's but if not acceptable, then I will have to reconsider the options... perhaps using a Proac centre with suitable rears (???).

Hope this helps anyone looking at these packages but as always, ears and eyes differ....

Derry