Help - Speaker impedance query

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by megson, Aug 8, 2004.

1. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

I am currently setting up my all brand new K series speakers. K17 fronts, K4 rears and K10 subwoofer.

I have the Denon A1 "uber" amp ready to power my speakers in my new AV room when the builders have finished it but I am wondering if, in the short term, my Yamaha 620 amp could be used to run the M&K's in. The Yammy currently runs my Kef egg speakers in my lounge but it is not practical at the moment to install and set up the Denon.

The impedance of my K series speakers are all 4 ohm but my Yamaha instruction manual says that the main speakers can be 4 ohm but the centre and rears should be 6 ohm or higher.

Does this rule out using the speakers with the Yammy? I know that the amp has protection circuitry built into it but I don't fully understand the technical side of things.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Regards

Megson

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,268
    Your Yamaha will run them but keep the volume levels fairly low otherwise you risk overloading the amp.