1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!! Speaker Damage or AudioCondria!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Coastline, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Coastline

Coastline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Christmas day and my Girlfriend calls me from the lounge saying that she can't get any sounf from our 3 week old system. I instantly see the problem .... last night we were watching a DVD and now she wants to watch TV but hasnt changed the Source on the Receiver! I point out that all she needs to do is look at the receiver see what source is selected and if it is wrong hit the Input key till the correct source is shown ie TV/Sat. "that's easy!" she says and hits the input key to TV!

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I then grab the remote and reduce the volume as quickly as I can (She had turned the volume up high - don't want to think how high!) So my poor speakers get a blast of Top of the pops or MTV or whatever she wanted to watch - straight from Cold.

Now after reading lots of threads about Clipping, tweeter damage etc I am paranoid that I have damged my speakers.

Can anyone tell me the best way to check for damage. I have output from all speakers but wouldn't know how to tell if I had a blown Tweeter or not!!

The volume was up for only a few seconds (as long as it took the remote to wind it down)... Is that enough to do damage?

Bear in mind that along with my amateur status comes a significant amount of hypercondria where these things are concerned! If I think it might be damaged I will hear duff sound. I need some simple tests to put my mind at rest or give me a reason to shoot my girlfriend (only kidding - my fault I didn't show her how to use it first).

Sorry about the babbling - Nervous about the replies!!

Thanks

2. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    It's unlikely that you will have damaged your speakers with a quick blast at high volume. Usually it takes a bit of effort to damage a speaker.
    If the tweeters have been damaged they usually stop working altogether resulting in a very muffled sound. You will have no difficulty telling if this has happened. (most commonly this happens when the amplifier power is too low and the volume is so high that the amplifier distorts).
    If the bass units are damaged they will usually rattle or make a 'rasping' sound when bass notes are played. The best music to listen to when testing for this is solo piano music. The piano has a particularly pure sound which very clearly shows up distortion when played through damaged bass units. Don't listen at high volumes for this test.
    Hope this helps.

3. Coastline

Coastline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks. Your advice has helped a lot. I will try the Piano music. I hope that you are right that the quick blast was too short to do any damage.