Help sourcing Philips Hue GU10 White & Colour Bulb housing units

Animalfreeride

Standard Member
Hi all,

I already have a number of Philips Hue bulbs in the lounge, but am about to commence a kitchen extension which I am looking to incorporate Philips Hue GU10 White & Colour bulbs in downlights to compliment the Smart lighting I already have.

I have carried out a lot of research on the internet but am really surprised there is hardly information or threads which recommends specific units. I have emailed a supplier who suggested Aurora EFD Pro will potentially allow this bulb to fit. Whilst I was advised the IP20 version will accommodate the bulb, which will be fine for the kitchen, the extension however will also feature a cantilever/large soffit which as they will be outside, need to be IP65 rated and ideally in black/anthracite finish. However the supplier has stated they will not fit perfectly using the Aurora EFD IP65 version due to convex glass.

I’m really interested to hear from anyone who has faced a similar dilemma in sourcing appropriate downlight housing units specifically for Phillips Hue White & Colour GU10 Bulbs and of course, any recommendations.

Thanks in anticipation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24354

You dont really need IP65 fittings in external soffits. I used Aurora cans on my kitchen and they are fine with Hue GU10s although I no longer use them as they are too expensive and the colour from them is a bit 'meh' compared to their other bulbs.

Animalfreeride

Standard Member
You dont really need IP65 fittings in external soffits. I used Aurora cans on my kitchen and they are fine with Hue GU10s although I no longer use them as they are too expensive and the colour from them is a bit 'meh' compared to their other bulbs.
Hi Mushii, thanks for your prompt reply. Can you confirm these were the new version GU10 Philips Hue White & Colour bulbs and also the specific Aurora unit you purchased?

Jamie

Distinguished Member
The latest Hue GU10 are standard size unlike the first generation so pretty much any GU10 downlight will work with them. Of course it does seem that the choice isn't as wide as it once was as most fittings are now integrated LEDs

Hamie

Standard Member
So annoying...

Philips explicitly state on their website that the ambience centres are suitable for installation in a kitchen. Yet no mention of fire rating. And looking at fire-rated GU10 downlighter separately, there's nothing really which shows why they're fire rated. It's certainly not a sealed housing, because most of them are open and just have a loop of metal that stops insulation from sitting directly on the bulb.

Hamie

Standard Member
I even asked the electrician what he needed to say it was 'fire rated'. All he could do was parrot the words it needs to be fire rated. But how? A specific IPnX number? The words fire-rated? Even if it says this is rated to spontaneously combust? I can't even find the relevant building regs that state it. The best I have found is a lighting company that says it's 'recommended'... A recommendation isn't a building regs requirement.

D

Deleted member 24354

Fire rating of downlight housings is covered in Part B of Building regs and the downlight, for use in normal domestic dwellings, not basements or flats needs to be able to maintain the fire integrity of the ceiling as a whole for a minimum of 30 minutes. This assumes 12.5mm plasterboard with joists at 600mm centres. By making a hole in the ceiling to fit a can, you breach that integrity. Therefore anything fitted in that hole needs to restore the fire integrity by meeting that standard. Basements require a fire integrity of 1 hour and flats and commercial spaces need to be rated for 1.5 hours. I hope that helps.

Hamie

Standard Member
Fire rating of downlight housings is covered in Part B of Building regs and the downlight, for use in normal domestic dwellings, not basements or flats needs to be able to maintain the fire integrity of the ceiling as a whole for a minimum of 30 minutes. This assumes 12.5mm plasterboard with joists at 600mm centres. By making a hole in the ceiling to fit a can, you breach that integrity. Therefore anything fitted in that hole needs to restore the fire integrity by meeting that standard. Basements require a fire integrity of 1 hour and flats and commercial spaces need to be rated for 1.5 hours. I hope that helps.
No, I understand that part. That wasn't the bit in question.

It's more, what's the fire rating of the Philips Hue downlighters. And why don't they list it. And if they're not fire rated, how do they even get them sold in this country if they technically can't be fitted.

D

Deleted member 24354

The short answer is they are not fire rated. They can be used if installed with individual fire hoods, which are about £5 each.

ufo550

We've had a similar discussion about fire rated down lights in another thread #103

I'm about to fit some Hue GU10's in my conversion. I see that the new Hue GU10's are 58mm deep and the Ansell iCage accommodates lamps up to 55mm, so I'm going to ask the manufacturer if the Hue will fit. Ansell do another open backed down light, but I've already cut and painted the holes for the iCage :facepalm:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom