• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help - Sound advice - PCM? Bitsream?

KFarm

Novice Member
Hi there

I have the UE55MU7000 with the HW-MS651 soundbar and UBD-9500 4k blu-ray player and am unsure about what settings to select in the sound menus of the TV and blu-ray player. The settings I would appreciate advice on are the ones in the attached images.

Additionally, my soundbar connects to the TV via the ARC HDMI and my blu-ray player connects to the TV too. This seems to work seamlessly without needing to change any settings, whether I'm watching TV or a blu-ray . However, having looked at the instructions again it recommends connecting the blu-ray HDMI direct to the soundbar (4k pass through) and changing the soundbar source to HDMI. This however would seem to require manually changing from ARC to HDMI on the soundbar dependent on whether I am watching TV or a blu-ray. Is this correct? Is there any difference or is this just 2 ways of doing the same thing?

Apologies for the naivety on my part, not knowledgeable in this area.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• TV 1.jpg
    TV 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • TV 2.jpg
    TV 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • Blu-ray 1 .jpg
    Blu-ray 1 .jpg
    955 KB · Views: 32
  • Blu-ray 2.jpg
    Blu-ray 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:

next010

Distinguished Member
On the TV "HDMI Audio Input Format" basically means
* PCM = stereo.
* bitstream = pass 5.1 audio to sound system.

Samsung TV's have a second setting "Digital Output Audio Format" were you must manually pick the sound format, from the picture yours only supports
* PCM which is listed again here and is just stereo.
* Dolby 5.1 is your basic surround sound format.
* DTS Neo 2:5 which is a stereo to surround audio upmix.

So if your using HDMI-ARC enable bitstream and set it to Dolby 5.1 in TV settings, then on each device plugged into the TV set their audio settings to bitstream/pass Dolby 5.1 output.

Note that HDMI-ARC is limited to PCM 2.0 (stereo), Dolby/DTS 5.1 audio.

When plugging the BD player into a sound system via HDMI pass through you get access to HD audio formats like PCM 7.1, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA so long as the sound system supports them.

However the MS651 only supports PCM 2.0, Dolby/DTS 5.1, it does not support higher quality audio formats so your not going to get anything from HDMI pass-through. All you do is enable Dolby 5.1 bitstream on the BD player either Auto or bitstream unprocessed as in your pictures.

KFarm

Novice Member
On the TV "HDMI Audio Input Format" basically means
* PCM = stereo.
* bitstream = pass 5.1 audio to sound system.

Samsung TV's have a second setting "Digital Output Audio Format" were you must manually pick the sound format, from the picture yours only supports
* PCM which is listed again here and is just stereo.
* Dolby 5.1 is your basic surround sound format.
* DTS Neo 2:5 which is a stereo to surround audio upmix.

So if your using HDMI-ARC enable bitstream and set it to Dolby 5.1 in TV settings, then on each device plugged into the TV set their audio settings to bitstream/pass Dolby 5.1 output.

Note that HDMI-ARC is limited to PCM 2.0 (stereo), Dolby/DTS 5.1 audio.

When plugging the BD player into a sound system via HDMI pass through you get access to HD audio formats like PCM 7.1, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA so long as the sound system supports them.

However the MS651 only supports PCM 2.0, Dolby/DTS 5.1, it does not support higher quality audio formats so your not going to get anything from HDMI pass-through. All you do is enable Dolby 5.1 bitstream on the BD player either Auto or bitstream unprocessed as in your pictures.

Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. So essentially I've left it pretty much as it was.

One question, if the MS651 doesn't offer anything via pass through, is there a reason why it's included? Once again, excuse my naivety.

next010

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. So essentially I've left it pretty much as it was.

One question, if the MS651 doesn't offer anything via pass through, is there a reason why it's included? Once again, excuse my naivety.

Just an extra port in case you need it, though in some cases because CEC/ARC are not a uniform standard there can be compatibility issues, this leads to audio lag losing sync with video if you cannot correct it your fall back option is to use the HDMI pass-through on the sound system.

The new HDMI-eARC standard is supposedly going to correct the above but that will require all new hardware.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom