1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help sought for hifi virgin!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kotafey, Dec 25, 2004.

1. kotafey

kotafey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll be honest from the very start - i know very little about hifi's. I have a rough idea of how amps etc work, but not enought to solve the riddle i am about to pose to you.

I have the following:

2 x Panasonic SB-AK27 speakers (from an old mini hifi), on the back of which it says:

impendance: TOTAL 6 ohm
    input: TOTAL 100w (Music)

1 x "Bull Power" ported sub (which used to be in my old car), on the back of which it says:

Max Power 230 / 440w, 4 Ohm, 20 - 1000hz

and finally 1 x Hitachi HTD-K150e Home Cinema Amp / Dvd player about which i know the following:

5 x 25W RMS Output (4 ohm)
    35W Subwoofer output
    Total Power Output of 160W

The riddle: Is there a way to wire all of this crap together to make 1 stereo sound system with a sub using the home cinema amp, or do I have to buy a new one?

If so, what price range am I looking at for this type of setup, and what makes should i go for / avoid?

I always get confused with the RMS and Max power ratings. I know there is a way to bridge 2 outputs to create 1 stronger output, but i'm not sure how different impendances affect all of this. I'm sure it all makes more sense to you than it does to me.

Any help appreciated. Many thanks!

Kotafey

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess you answered it yourself,so get something better and save the hasle.Something like Rotel entry amp/cd player,and a pair of £200 speakers.will make a much better noise.

3. kotafey

kotafey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heh, yeah I just re-read my post and I appreciate I must have offended you guys a little bit. I read around the forum a bit, and saw that you guys are into audio as much as I am into my car :D

I know this is probably one of the more stupid questions you will get, but this is purely a money-saving exercise - I appreciate i'm not gonna get anything half as good as you've learnt to expect out of this.

Nevertheless, i'd still like to know if it's theoretically possible to wire a system with 2 speakers and a sub into an amp. Forget the one I listed above - do such 3 channel amps exist, and how much are they? :lease:

Thanks.

Kotafey

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think your a bit confused.I think you may want is something like 2 satallite speakers plus a active sub,then runit into a normal 2 channel stereo amp.Should be able to do it for a reasonable cost if you go S/H.

5. Gman85

Gman85

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well ths Magnet 'Bull Powered' subs need a hefty amp to driver that beefy sub along, which that amp will not do. That amp is designed for driving small satellite speakers.

IF you are looking for a BUDGET MEANS of having a functional system, then i would get a this yamaha package £80, so your amp can drive the 5 satelite speakers, but then its got any active sub.

http://ws4.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=YAMA-NSP100

Only the amp is usful if you want to do anything. The other speakers are not useful. The panasonics you could sell, but not for much. As for the Car sub,plenty of people are after subs on eBay.