1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Sony VW10HT vs Sony VW11HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Poskins, May 27, 2002.

1. Poskins

Poskins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone.
    I need help/opinions on the above mentioned Sony projectors.I had a demo of the Sony VW10HT last year and was very impressed.When the VW11HT came out I decided to save for that as I heard it was a big improvement.My dilemma is that the cheapest I have seen the VW11HT is around £3900.I have now found the VW10HT for £2812.My question is, is the VW11HT worth the extra £1000, is there a vast improvement that will justify me spending that extra money.
    I will have a dedicated home cinema room where I will have total control over the lighting.
    I'd love to hear from anybody who has owned both these projectors or has seen them both.
    Thanks in advance for anybody who can offer any advice.

:confused:

2. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my sony vpl 11 from sound and vision ,bolton £3600, chuffed with it, so ya lookin at £800, the choice is yours, not seen the vpl 10 though .:rolleyes:

3. Poskins

Poskins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you have any dead pixels on the unit you bought from Sound and Vision?That's the other thing that is worrying me as I would have to probably buy via mail order.

4. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    I have a VW10 (2 years old, just short of 1000 hours) which I am very happy with. I have no motivation to upgrade it.

Comparison (brief) based on comments read here mostly:

1) Contrast/black levels are better on the 11. This can be improved on both models with the addition of a pink colour correcting filter and a tweak to the internal white balance (service menu).

2) The scaler (device which converts the incoming signal into a digital array to address the pixels correctly) is better on the 11. Evidently it handles interlaced signals (ie not progressive scan) better. I gather there isn't much difference when fed with a progressive scan signal, and I know that the 10 is virtually flawless in this respect. So, if you don't have, or plan to have, a progressive DVD player, I'd probably go for the 11.

6. Poskins

Poskins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris and Nigel.
    Nigel, I was thinking of buying a new DVD player when I bought a projector and was going to opt for the Denon2800, which I believe has progressive scan.The money I would save by buying a 10HT would pay for this DVD player.
    From your reply I take it you are using a progressive scan DVD player with the 10HT, with excellent results.
    With this set up,the filter and the tweaking, what kind of picture do you get when watching very dark movies, like Batman for example?
    I really don't want to spend money that I don't have to and if a progressive scan DVD player and the 10HT can give me a great picture I see no reason for paying more for the 11HT.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Yes, A Pioneer 737.
    Difficult to answer. Black is not black. As with all LCDs, it is dark grey. It is significantly darker with the filter & tweak than without. Contrary to popular belief, there is NO significant loss of detail in dark areas if it is properly set up. It's just that "very nearly black" gets reproduced as "very nearly darkest grey".

From what I can gather, an unfiltered VW11 will produce blacks that are about as dark as a filtered 10 but as I have not got both, I can't do a true comparison. However, starting from a "blacker" start point, the 11 can be similarly filtered and tweaked to produce even blacker black.

In my opinion the picture is very good, and I don't find the grey blacks to be distracting. In all other respects, given a progressive scan component input, the picture is virtually flawless. It's pretty good with interlaced stuff too, but in this respect, I gather the 11 is better.

BTW, I have one failed (bright) green pixel. It is virtually undetectable from normal viewing distance, even on a black image, even if you know where to look.