Help! Sony vs Panasonic

dannyboyno7

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I could do with some advice, i'm in the market for a new tv, i was looking at the sony kd55x8005Cbu £749.99 at argos. The missus then then baulks at the price & sugests the panasonic tx-55cx400 £599 at curry's! I know my step dad had problems with the 40" version of the panasonic & couldnt use his virgin tivo remote with it! (Ive read posts about panasonic being made in Turkey by vetel etc & having quality issues). The sony i know is not the newst tv on the market but is it really worth the extra £150 compared to the panosonic, or is there a beter 4k 55" tv on the market for between £600 - £750? Any replys would be gratefully appreciated! Thanx.

Without a doubt, steer 100% clear of the Panasonic CX400 series as they are truly awful and as you state are not made by Panasonic and cannot use the TiVo remote.
At that price I would say the Sony is up there with the best. You could try one of the budget Samsung ranges but I found the viewing angles terrible and the TV was horribly slow to operate

Thanx very much for the reply AndyRg4.
Thankfully i stayed away from the 55cx400.
Being a sony fan, i was very tempted to go with th kd55x8005 but was then advised that the 200hz motion rate was quite poor.
After alot of thought and reading a promising review on this site LG 65UF850V (UF850) UHD 4K LED TV Review
I have taken a gamble & decided to go with the LG55uf850v.
Both the sony & LG where £749 at curry's.
I just hope i've made the right decision!

The Sony still has decent motion despite its 200hz motion rate. It is still a 100hz panel like the LG.
Personally I think you will find the black levels on the LG lacking in comparison to the Sony.
I would go Sony over any LG LED anytime, it is only their OLEDs that can compete with the big boys now

Thanx again for the reply, now i am questioning my decision! As for black levels, i am no expert, is this something i will notice? All our other tv's are sony, i am upgrading this 1 from an old sony kDL-40ex403 (which is still goin strong) but im sure whichever i go with LG55uf850v or kf55x8005c will be an improvement!

I think you will definitely notice the difference in black levels. For the LG to get acceptable blacks (although the review even states that blacks are mediocre!) you will sacrifice a lot of detail in the shadows. Compared side by side you will see things on the Sony that will be simply not there on the LG

Thank you very much for your input! I did actually order the lg, but may go see if i can change it before it comes! I was all set on the sony but the guy at currys really leaned toward the lg said its motion rate was better (1600 pmi) a better processor & 5 year garauntee & that swayed my decision! I should of stuck to my original choice never had a prob with sony!

No worries. It is a mine field when it comes to quoting motion rates of TV's. Sales people who only read of paper and don't really know the technology that well don't help either! We have the Sony in store and its 200Hz motion rate is better than Panasonics DX902 flagship in certain aspects, so take all these quoted figures with a pinch of salt at the very least

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom