• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! Sony tv

Danny99903

Novice Member
hi Iv just got a new Sony 40inch smart tv and Iv connected a coax cable to it which leads to the sky dish outside and Iv installed the channels but the signal strength is up and down and the picture goes blurry ect every now and again so I reinstall and Iv tried everything but the picture quality is poor can anyone help?

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
hi Iv just got a new Sony 40inch smart tv and Iv connected a coax cable to it which leads to the sky dish outside and Iv installed the channels but the signal strength is up and down and the picture goes blurry ect every now and again so I reinstall and Iv tried everything but the picture quality is poor can anyone help?

Has the cable been damaged when you installed the new set? Maybe ring Sky to check your reception strength. If it was working before then it's either that OR a problem with your new set but I'd expect to see problems in other areas like dvds etc.

Russ_64

Prominent Member
Are you trying to use the Sky dish for FreeSAT? You said cable direct into TV?
AFAIK the dish will need a different LNB if not used for a Sky box.

JayCee

Distinguished Member

A TV with a Freesat tuner will work with any Sky dish as long as it's got a standard LNB.
If the dish has a Sky Q wideband LNB it won't work.
This isn't the case here as the OP has successfully tuned his TV.

Danny99903

Novice Member
Not sure what free sat and freeview difference is? I’m using the digital tv that comes with the tv with a sky dish I mean it does work sometimes but quite often the picture quality is poor

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Not sure what free sat and freeview difference is? I’m using the digital tv that comes with the tv with a sky dish I mean it does work sometimes but quite often the picture quality is poor

Let's first of all establish what you're viewing on the TV.
Does the coax cable PLUG into the TV's aerial input with a coax plug or does it SCREW into the TV's Satellite input socket with an F-Connector?

Danny99903

Novice Member
It is a coax cable with a metal end on it with a small thin hole in the middle of the end that just pushes into the tv? (Sorry I’m not well up on this)

Danny99903

Novice Member
Has the cable been damaged when you installed the new set? Maybe ring Sky to check your reception strength. If it was working before then it's either that OR a problem with your new set but I'd expect to see problems in other areas like dvds etc.
Sky is fine as sky boxes in other rooms running fine,it’s either coax cable or the tv is not compatible with sky dish I don’t know?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
It is a coax cable with a metal end on it with a small thin hole in the middle of the end that just pushes into the tv? (Sorry I’m not well up on this)

Ta
It is a coax cable with a metal end on it with a small thin hole in the middle of the end that just pushes into the tv?

Do you then just push the body of this plug fully into the socket or do you have to screw it in?
Sorry for the questions but your description could apply to a coax plug or an F-Plug.
Does it look like this?
TV (IEC) Coaxial Plug Male Coax Plug
Or does it look like this?
F-Plug F Plug

JayCee

Distinguished Member
That's why you have a poor signal.
You cannot use a satellite dish as an aerial, you need a (preferably) roof or loft mounted terrestrial aerial.
A Satellite dish is meant for use with a satellite receiver (like your Sky box) or a TV with a satellite tuner.
BTW what is the full model number of your Sony TV...you'll find it printed on a label on it's rear.

Danny99903

Novice Member
I'd guess the cable then.
So my Sony tv is compatible with a sky tv dish? I mean the amount of times I retune it is unbelievable it works for few hours then goes off pretty strange aye?
Other TVs in the house are using sky box to watch tv and it works just fine

Danny99903

Novice Member
That's why you have a poor signal.
You cannot use a satellite dish as an aerial, you need a (preferably) roof or loft mounted terrestrial aerial.
A Satellite dish is meant for use with a satellite receiver (like your Sky box) or a TV with a satellite tuner.
BTW what is the full model number of your Sony TV...you'll find it printed on a label on it's rear.
Sony Bravia Model no: kdl-40we663

JayCee

Distinguished Member
So my Sony tv is compatible with a sky tv dish?

No, your KDL-40WE663 does not have a satellite tuner.
You need an aerial.
Or you plug the satellite cable into a Sky or Freesat box then plug that into your TV.
I repeat, you cannot use a satellite dish as a Freeview aerial which is what you're trying (unsuccessfully) to do.

Danny99903

Novice Member
No, your KDL-40WE663 does not have a satellite tuner.
You need an aerial.
Or you plug the satellite cable into a Sky or Freesat box then plug that into your TV.
I repeat, you cannot use a satellite dish as a Freeview aerial which is what you're trying (unsuccessfully) to do.
Well it works on n off with a sky dish!?!
How much is that to get one of them fitted on my house?

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Other TVs in the house are using sky box to watch tv and it works just fine

But you don't have a Sky box plugged into yours...you're trying to use a cable intended for a Sky box (or Freesat/Satellite receiver) as a terrestrial aerial.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom