HELP Sony STR-DN1080

Blockaidrunner

Novice Member
I decided to put Banana plugs on speakers after cleaning up the wiring mess. I was listening to music while doing this and when I saw plugging my last 2 wires for LF spk. As I putting in the ground lead (Blk) the positive lead slipped out my hand and landed a couple of already plugged in banana ends (which brass & no insulator) and BAM 💥, the Sony unit shut off 🤷‍♂️?? I turned it back on and powered up fine but no sound out either of the 5 channels.
Please 🙏 tell me it’s something simple. I’m a old timer but still like my loud music 😄.
I should have purchased something simpler, because the technology is over my head, but it sounded so nice.
Can anyone help me out with this issue. No way can I replace it 👎.
Thanks for your time and help,
BLOCKAIDRUNNER

Attachments

• 5BF7B65D-3668-4F1C-AF14-F65C9124288A.jpeg
    5BF7B65D-3668-4F1C-AF14-F65C9124288A.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 16

Blockaidrunner

Novice Member
Thank you so much for responding to this 🙏.
I crossed fingers, toes, along with some prayers as I started to reset back to the factory settings 🤞. Unfortunately that did not do it 😭, but again I thank you for for your time and help on this. I can’t imagine 🤔 how I could possibly return the favor because all this new technology is over my head 🤷‍♂️ 😄. But if you need on whatever, just holler at me 👍.

Kapkirk

Let this be a lesson to ALL, do all your plugging in/out with the amplifier and Subwoofers turned OFF (Always)
Even so most amps have protection to prevent this from happening and all that is normally needed is to switch the unit off and wait 2 mins then back on, sadly in this case it appears the protection circuit did not help.

Blockaidrunner

Novice Member
So I have junk now? Wow that was A expensive unit, for me anyway.
Thanks Kapkirk even if it was some bad news 😆. I’m sure I have another receiver stuck some place but not as nice. I’ve had it only about 2-3 years.🤷‍♂️
Thanks again 👍

unoduo

Just a thought. Might be worth checking you haven’t turned the speakers off accidentally by pressing the ”SPEAKERS” button on the front panel (just above the power button).

D40C972B-32C0-4D78-8FCC-0218DAEB093B.jpeg

Blockaidrunner

Novice Member
Hey thanks guys 👍, yeah I played with the speaker button after it shut down. So that’s not it and as far as checking the troubleshooting information I haven’t tried it but will today. You are speaking about the chart in owners manual.
Thanks everyone and please share any thoughts you may have.
Thanks

Kapkirk

Thanks Kapkirk even if it was some bad news 😆. I’m sure I have another receiver stuck some place but not as nice. I’ve had it only about 2-3 years.🤷‍♂️
Thanks again 👍
I know it doesn't really help you now but whoever advised you to use that type of banana plugs should know the metal shroud type is not the best type to use especially on the amplifier end when so many are right next to each other like that.
I would change them for the "Z" type with rubberised or plastic shroud to prevent shorts if you purchase a new amplifier or get the Sony repaired.

Kapkirk

Thanks again 👍

Have you tried the following method from the service manual on page 32?
Carry out initialize shipment mode clear.
Carry out all clear initialize

Read the left side of the manual and carry out the 2 methods as described.

Dolus

Hey thanks guys 👍, yeah I played with the speaker button after it shut down. So that’s not it and as far as checking the troubleshooting information I haven’t tried it but will today. You are speaking about the chart in owners manual.
Thanks everyone and please share any thoughts you may have.
Thanks
The link I posted was from the Sony Repair page, (repeated below). No harm looking at both. ;)
How to troubleshoot if there is no sound or intermittent sound from the speakers.

Blockaidrunner

Novice Member
I’m going to check tonight or when I get back from Dr. tomorrow and your right, no harm looking 👍.
I’m 70 & disabled with 20 back surgeries and enough screws & gadgets to build a car 😄. But I’m pretty good with my hands and I have thought about opening the unit up to see if something looks burnt or fuse blown 🤷‍♂️. That’s if I get nowhere with that website and yes it will be off, unplugged 😆. I maybe selling some pioneer C-6 and my JBLs L-112 and a pair of Klipsch on the sells pages on here, I hope not 😭. If I find something I’ll post it, so wish me luck 🍀 and thanks everyone 🙏.

Blockaidrunner

Novice Member
Hey Dolus, I checked that site and it has a lot of useful information and I have a good voltmeter (Fluke) and even speaks about checking a fuse and gives pins to check, and what the values should be. But after thinking about this, I don’t have the confidents to open it up, I’m just not up to today’s technology and afraid I’ll do more harm than good 😊. I’m sure it’s nothing to you guys. I’ll pull it out and see if I can find a place here in Al. to look at it. Does anyone know if Best Buy would be good with this unit? Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom