Help! Sony PJ image problems

sonyuser1967

Novice Member
Having performed flawlessly for several years I recently turned on my Sony VPL-VW500es to be presented with a strange colour shift. I have tried recalibrate it and also re-aligning it to no avail. Does anyone know what is the issue? Any help lost gratefully received.

Attachments

• 58221685-C8AC-4DA2-A3F2-16BD1E6653F7.jpeg
    58221685-C8AC-4DA2-A3F2-16BD1E6653F7.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 23
  • BB1B9527-A9A0-45F5-A002-F2C7B409B7F4.jpeg
    BB1B9527-A9A0-45F5-A002-F2C7B409B7F4.jpeg
    353.8 KB · Views: 21

ask4me2

Have you tried to refocus the lens to see if the information from the green panel can come into focus?

ask4me2

There are several strange things going on in your photos that might not be projector-related.

I am thinking about this parts
1639821522615.png

where we can see objects behind (?) the screen and the screen looks semi-transparent. Is this an Acoustically Transparent Projector Screen, or is it caused by the camera used taking more than one exposure of the same picture frame or something?

In the other picture, the green text information looks horizontally moved to the right and is highly out of focus. If you are able to get the green more into focus while the red and blue information going out of focus, That will indicate that there has been some physical movement between the optical working parts in the light engine and it is not something wrong with the electronic working parts controlling the information on the panels.
1639822195866.png

If the adjusting of the lens focus gets the green into focus, I will suspect a broken prism or movement of the green panel film plane is the cause of the strange picture errors in these pictures. This may have been caused by some accidentally applied g-forces (The projector had been dropped) or internal heat expansion/retracting stress-related forces that have made some of the optical parts crack and/or move out of position.

If it is the optical light engine block that is damaged and the projector is out of warranty, the cost of the parts and the work to replace them is often more than what a new projector at a similar class projector will be.

sonyuser1967

Novice Member
Thank you. I was unable to get the green into focus - there was a slight improvement in definition at the upper limit of the focus but it was still fuzzy.

The screen is perforated and you can see behind it when lights are on. New photo attached without these issues.

Attachments

• AEA9F793-AE1A-4DDC-8692-25E9437ACF67.jpeg
    AEA9F793-AE1A-4DDC-8692-25E9437ACF67.jpeg
    99.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

ask4me2

Thank you. I was unable to get the green into focus - there was a slight improvement in definition at the upper limit of the focus but it was still fuzzy.

The screen is perforated and you can see behind it when lights are on. New photo attached without these issues.
The red and blue are still in focus in this new picture, try only to focus on the green without trying to make the other information into focus at all.

sonyuser1967

Novice Member
Here it - max focus, this is the best I can get the green to. Does this help?

Attachments

• 610F16E6-6189-41A0-A3D8-81F95DE651FB.jpeg
    610F16E6-6189-41A0-A3D8-81F95DE651FB.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 20

ask4me2

Here it - max focus, this is the best I can get the green to. Does this help?
It is a little hard to see out of these pictures, but as long as the width of the green lines seems to shrink or expand in an opposite way of the red and blue channels when focusing/defocusing (between both endpoints of the focusing range on) the lens, that is a very strong indication the problem is in the optical domain and that something in the green channel between the that reflecting SXRD panel and the lens has physically moved out of its correct position.

Exactly what it is and if it can be repaired or not (for a reasonable amount of money), that needs some more hands-on investigation from someone that knows and can further diagnose or repair these Sony projectors.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung QN95B 4K QLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom