1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Sony LCD

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Global2001, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Global2001

Global2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just ordered a Sony (KLV-30MR1) 30" LCD tv, but then read the buyers guide in What Video magazine, which suggests that it isn't very good. Did anyone see the magazine review (July edition) or has got one of these tvs? Any info/opinions appreciated, before I sign the cheque!

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +528
    I personally would not put too much faith in reviews.
    Before you spend that kind of money on a display go and see it on display - it should be an easy model to track down. Make sure that you see the display with the same inputs as you will be watching. From my experience LCD tends to look very good with bright DVDs like Monsters inc but seems to struggle with dark DVDs e.g. the mine scenes in Lord of the Rings, and can look very "noisy" with analogue (or even digital) broadcasts.

Personally, I have not seen any large LCD that has impressed me and I do not rate the Sony model or the Sharp 30v4 LCD (I would go for a 32" plasma instead) but I know that many people on these forums prefer LCD to plasma.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Have you not seen it for yourself ?

I am hoping to get one of these soon and have viewed it several times at various different places and showing different material.

It looks great to me...but don't take my word for it, or base your purchase on a review which vary greatly - Home Cinema Choice rated it very highly and gave it their Best Buy award...you really have to see it for yourself.

Nearly every Sony store should have one and the larger Curry's and Comet store sometimes have them as well.

Cheers, Lee

4. Global2001

Global2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Good advice. Teach me not to impulse buy in future!

5. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

I'll agree with everything this guy above says!!! :D

The picture of all large LCDs are noisy and full of nasty artifacts and jagged edges, even with slow moving images.

I think the Sharp is marginally better than the Sony, but it's still not perfect.

The Sony 32", while far from a perfect has much better picture quality that replicates a CRT picture a lot more. Plus, it's about a grand cheaper.

Only really buy the 30" Sony LCD if you really must have that design.

6. PepeDuran

PepeDuran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Global 2001 did you end up purchasing the Sony KLV-30MR1/
    They have JUST been released in Australia and am thinking of purchasing one.

7. Maximus5

Maximus5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen Sony KLV-30MR1 which is an old model and was not very impressed by the picture regardless of the input. But a new Sony LCD KLV-L32MRX1 with Wega Engine is totally different story. Typically Sony glass look and excellent picture quality without any of the flaws of the old model. Well I must confess that I'm still deciding between Sony LCD KLV-L32MRX1 and Sony plasma KE-P37XS1 (or any other good plasma). Here is a link to new Sony LCD (in French).

http://www.sony.be/PageView.do?site...oductcategory=/TV+Projector/TVP+Flat+Panel+TV

8. PepeDuran

PepeDuran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maximus5 the model just released in Oz is the KLV-30MR1 and its called a LCD WEGA.
    Here is the URL to it http://***********/2fyu3
    :hiya: