1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!! SONY HTR6500 or other DVD recorder/home cinema?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by KarlosP, Jan 18, 2004.

1. KarlosP

KarlosP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help!

I have finally retired my National Quintrix TV (20+yrs old) and decided to get into the 21st century by buying a 32inch wide screen CRT TV, DVD recorder and surround sound system.
    Understandably, working out the ins and outs of home cinema has been quite a learning curve!
    After reading an enormous argument on DVD formats I was dazed and more confused than when I started!
    To add to the complexity, I have recently ordered a Dell PC and it comes with a DVD +R +RW drive. I want to buy a system that is compatible with this to allow using DVDs from one on the other (although I’m not totally sure what the possibilities are). As I understand it the PC DVD drive can read DVD-R +R and +RW and write +R and +RW.

My main use for the home cinema will be playing store bought DVDs and recording TV programs when I’m not around so I can watch them later. So the idea of the multiple writing of the RW system appeals to me. Also I intend to move my stereo out of the lounge and use the home cinema to play CDs so the new system needs to have at least reasonable stereo abilities. Also I need a multi region system.

I talked to a sales man at the local stereo shop and he has recommended a Sony KV32FX68 CRT TV, and a SONY HTR-6500 home cinema (with RDRGX3 DVD recorder). Euro 2400. However the power of the system is only 100W subwoofer and 35W for the other speakers.
    Also I have read lots of good things about Panasonic, (The time slip sounds great) and the DVD RAM format and I’m wondering if I’m letting the format of the PC DVD drive me into a corner.
    Help!!

My Budget is about Euro 2500 (UKpounds1700)

OK heres my questions:

1.) What do you think of the proposed SONY system? I’m no metal head but the power seems a little light?
    2.) I don’t want to start a format war but should I let the fact that the PC DVD won’t play DVD Ram stop me from buying a Panasonic system? They do sound great.
    3.) Could you propose an alternate system? I’m quite happy to build a component system if it meets the budget and gives me better performance. I just don’t know where to start! (No unreliable Phillips though)
    4.) Can the UK stores deliver to the Netherlands without any problems? ( I can’t speak Dutch!)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me
    Karlos

2. KarlosP

KarlosP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh I forgot. The PC also has a DVD ROM. Does that help in any way??

3. KarlosP

KarlosP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No replies?! Isn't there anyone who can help me? Any advice gratefully accepted.
    I thought that I had finally found a solution when I found this forum. Maybe not...... come on guys

4. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    KarlosP,
    Have you considered this system? It has a DVD recorder which writes to DVD-R, DVD-RW or DVD-RAM. It will read DVD+R & DVD+RW and outputs a PAL progressive signal.....

With it's digital amp, it gives I believe 600 Watts RMS. Has neat, slim floorstanding speakers.

Have a look at the JVC-Europe.com website for more info....

(I have the DVD Recorder part of the system, the DR-M1 and have been very pleased.....)

Regards, Flashman

5. KarlosP

KarlosP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Flashman
    That sounds like a good option I'll take a look.
    Karlos