1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Sony DSC-W1 Battery Charge Meter not working properly?!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Johnny Chimpo, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Johnny Chimpo

Johnny Chimpo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my old Fuji A201 2 Megapixel to a secondhand Sony DSC-W1 5 Megapixel.
    First impressions are good, although not the earthshattering pics I was expecting...

BUT.... the battery-charge indicator on the camera's LCD shows up as a 'full charge' most of the time, even after half-an-hour's use. Then when you switch modes to playback, for example it goes waaaay down to 1/4 full. Change modes again, and guess what - it's back up to full again. :confused:
    The previous owner has said that all W1's have this trait, and has offerred a full refund, but to be honest the camera was a bargain otherwise (£200 including extra set of batteries, USB memory-stick reader, soft case, 32Mb and 2 X 512Mb Memory Stick Pro's :clap: )

I was taking some pics yesterday and turned the flash off to avoid blinding my baby niece :nono: and the resulting pics where blurry as hell,as if the shutter speed had decreased (moving arms went all blurry etc.)

I'm a bit of a point 'n' click occasional photographer, so maybe I'm just imagining problems where there are none?
    Can anyone advise me (especially W1 owners) if I have cause for concern or if I've scored myself a genuine bargain? :lease:

Cheers,
    John

2. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some time back I upgraded from a 2mp Kodak to a 5mp Olympus and like you did not see a great improvement when I first compared the two.
    It took a couple of weeks getting to know the camera and playing with the settings before I could see its potential. With any luck you will find the same with the sony.

No ideas on your battery problem.

Need more info as to motion blur. Was there enough light to expect the camera to get such a picture?
    You may need to use manual settings - increase the iso and set to aperture priority with the widest setting (lowest f number) so the shutter speed will be 1/30th or preferably faster.

3. FruitBat

FruitBat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +382
    Just had this (actually W12) for a few days. It's my first digicam and I'm completely besotted with it. I can't stop taking pictures.
    I haven't noticed any problem with the battery meter.
    I would say that the blur is to be expected. I've done the same thing with the cat (use low light setting and no flash) and the shutter speed is slowed down (as expected). You need the camera as steady as possible in this situation.
    I would say that you have a bargain. Did you get a manual? The manual is over 100 pages, so there's a fair bit of reading to do.