Help Sony BDP S580 & Denon AVR 19o6 Dolby digital

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Agothaclypse, Jul 28, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Agothaclypse

Agothaclypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I recently bought a Sony BDP S580 3D Blue Ray player, I have hooked it up to my Denon AVR 1906 amp via the digital coaxial connection.
    I understand that I will not be able to decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD MA, but thought that the player would downmix the disc audio to standatd Dolby digital 5.1 / DTS 5.1. however I am not sure if it is doing this. The front panel lights indicate a Dolby digital or DTS soundtrack, but the display says 5CH stereo.
    Even when I switch the Blue Ray Disc audio to an included Dolby Digital 5.1 track I get the same result & likewise when I play a DVD with 5.1 or 7/6.1 track. I am confused.
    Am I getting discreet digital tracks or just a stereo signal split 5 ways ?
    I dont really want to buy a new amp, as the Denon is very nice & serving me well up to now. And the cheapest Denon AV reciever that will decode Dolby True HD & offer 7.1 channels is £550.00
    I much appreciate the advice any of you gurus can give.
    Ive also posted this in the Blue Ray section, hope that is all right.
    Am considering a Sony STRDH520 & would appreciate any comments you have on this receiver, the last Sony STRDB940 that I had developed an annoying crackle on the front left hand channel, I am therefore wary of another Sony reciever.

Kind regards & thanks in advance
    Paul Stenning

2. steverobertsbbc

steverobertsbbc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi Paul,

I don't have that amp, but it sounds like you are confusing the input format with the listening mode. On my Onkyo amp, if the input is DD5.1 for example, I can cycle through many options of how I want that 5.1 to be presented to my speakers - ie Pure Direct, Stereo, Dolby Digital, numerous DSP surround effects and 5CH stereo. There should be a button on your remote to select the one you want. I'll post this reply then try to find the manual online and have a look for you.

Edit: Press the Standard button top left on the remote.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012