1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP : Sony 32FX65 S-Video problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by colled, Jan 22, 2002.

1. colled

colled
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new Sony 32FX65 is supposed to auto-detect the type of signal being fed into the AV ports. There is no manual way of selecting composite, S-video or RGB on each port like my old tv. When I set my NTL box to output S-video the picture goes black and white as the S-video kicks in, but the TV does not detect the new signal as being S-video and stays black and white rather than switching to a nice S-video colour picture. The NTL box goes into AV2 on the TV which is S-video compatible, but I also tried AV3 which is the same port type. Anyone got any ideas what's wrong and how to make it detect the new signal type???

2. colled

colled
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone???:confused:

3. Lester

Lester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Sounds like you need to switch s-video on in the service menu.

Here's some text from another post on how to do it with another Sony set....should be the same for you.

Good luck.....

I originally had a problem viewing NTSC DVD's though S-Video on my Sony 36FS70 .
    It turned out that the scart ports at the back of the TV should automatically detect the s-video NTSC signal but this option was NOT set to ON. Seems a bit daft that Sony would not set this to on by default, as most users with DVD players will want to run S-Video or RGB signals to their TV. Sony were not very helpful and refused to give me the instructions on how to access the service menu on the TV so that I could enable the auto-detection of the s-video signal. Instead they recommended I pay a Sony engineer to do the job !! Needless to say, it is easy to do yourself if you know how to
    access the service menu - just be careful not to change any other settings by mistake.
    These are the instructions I used to access the service menu -

1.Turn the set off from the TV on/off switch
    2.Hold down the two dimpled buttons on top of TV, and keep them depressed.
    3.Turn the set on from TV on/off switch.
    4.After a few seconds the set will come on. Now you can release the two dimpled buttons.
    5.The menu button on the remote will now toggle between the standard menu, and the service menu.

Once you have pressed the menu button twice, the service menu should appear. There is an option for Special Adjustment - select this and scroll down the list. Number 20 and 21 on my TV are listed as NTSC AutoYc AV2 and NTSC AutoYc AV3. These were initially set to off on my TV, and as a result the set would not automatically detect an S-Video NTSC signal and the picture was poor. When you have set these to ON, exit the service menu and turn the TV off and on again. Careful not to alter any other settings, as this can screw up your TV.

4. Comicman

Comicman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How the hell would you know that normally? For crying out loud that is ridiculous. Basically paying all that money for a TV that is impossible to sort out, not very user friendly at all.