Help! SonicStage 3.1 please

johann1979

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, just got my HD5 and SonicStage 3.1 is really not making any sense at all. With my Vaio Pocket I could create different groups on the player and transfer which ever tracks I wanted to the groups. With the HD5 I can't seem to create new groups - when I transfer a playlist to the HD5 I can't view it under playlists, only under Album (By Artist) - the tracks are various different artists but I want them grouped together. Any advice? Thanks.. :)

It's bloody akward to say the least - but I think I have come up with a solution. I'm just renaming all the tracks in the group's album section to the name of the directory - and then SonicStage seems to recognise it as one group. cheers

Actually - it is still not making sense - rather than have directory that is for instance the name of the cd and then the tracks underneath it it just throws each track up seperately on the screen?!

I think on the HD5 for groups - simply read Genre. Organising your tracks genres correctly and simply has the same effect of putting them in groups. Once on the unit you can then view your tunes all in one go by tracks, by artist, by albums or by genres (without having to mess up the albums that they belong to by renaming them) which I love to use - fancy a bit of rock, shuffle rock, fancy a bit of dance, shuffle dance, but fancy listening to one whole album... they're still there, named correctly as they should be. I'm probably rambling now so I'll shut up.

Oh and playlists - you can make as many as you like in SS and transfer them to the HD5. Once transferred you can view them on the unit by clicking the little drop down view button above the list. It's all actually quite straitforward really... once you get your head around it.

thats odd it automaticaly made groups under album name for me when i transferred everything, it even transferred it by alphabetical order of artist. ss only knows where to put a track by its id3 (or 1 im not sure) tag so check they are all updated full and correct first, its a major pain but trust me it will save a lot of headaches later on.

I really appreciate the help from you guys, but this is a headache - I have about 1,500 tracks and they don't have any of that information filled in - just the name and artist and now I have to go and rename all of that???

Let me explain what is going on at this point. In my Quick Start Guide under How Will The Audio Data Be Managed? It says Album --> Track 01, underneath that Track 02 and underneath that Track 03. So I went and renamed all the Album sections in that particular directory to Funky House April 2005. It still doesn't give me that particular album with all the tracks listed underneath it - all it does is have the artist of each track and when I double click on that a directory seems to flow out of that called Funky House April 2005. It is nothing like I'm used to with minidisc or vaio pocket and i'm so frustrated ... :(

iv got a suggestion for you, download a program called mp3tag (google it and it should come up) it will fill in id3 tags for you based on filename/folder structure its really easy to use and save a lot of time it was a godsend for me!

then ss will work it all out for you, or at least it should do without any problems.

thanks alot - I'll try it - I have to say - SonicStage is not too bad in the sense that you can actually highlight multiple tracks and rename the artist or album and it will rename all of the tracks - the real problem is once it is on the HD5 they seem to be all over the place - at least when I look at it with SonicStage...

Right guys I'm so sorry but I need more help! By renaming the Album field in all the tracks I would like in the same 'group' I have sort of managed to recreate the whole 'groups' principle that I was used to on my vaio pocket and minidiscs - but I'm facing another problem. I'll use what I'm doing as an example. It is a directory of funky house and I don't want the tracks alphabetically - it is important for me to have them in the order I like - from slow to faster. In SonicStage 2.3 I could drag and drop files on the right hand side (inside the device) and put them in the order I want - how do I do that with SonicStage 3.1? It doesn't give me any oppurtunity to drag any files anywhere... :(

In the same 'properties' place where you renamed the album, there is a track number category. Use that to number them in the order you want. Time consuming perhaps but that should do it.

Hrochnick said:
In the same 'properties' place where you renamed the album, there is a track number category. Use that to number them in the order you want. Time consuming perhaps but that should do it.

Can you do that once the tracks on the NW-HD5 or only when they're still in the My Library section of SonicStage?
Thanks

I think both, but I'm saying that from memory (of course if it's already on the hd5 and you alter in sonic stage you'll need to delete and re-transfer, which makes me think you can just alter it on the hd5) - will double check when I get home unless someone else can confirm before hand.

that is annmoying as hell, i found that, i just got the war of the worlds soundtrack by jeff wayne and you have to listen to it in order, i ended up changing all the titles to

01)the even of war
02)horsel common

etc its a real pain, its ok most of the time for me at least as i have it on random anyway but with stuff like thats its a real stummbling block. I didnt try putting in track numbers but i didnt think that worked, it probably would though thinking about it.

watchinthewheel - I can't understand why you would have to do that... when you ripped the cd did sonicstage not automatically find the details for it with correct track numbers etc?

I really have found ss a breeze to use with only one or two minor niggles (the limited view of the tracks on the hd5 being the major, minor niggle) but overall straightforward and easy. Don't quite understand why so many seem to have troubles! I have never used anything like itunes though, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Hrochnick said:
I think both, but I'm saying that from memory (of course if it's already on the hd5 and you alter in sonic stage you'll need to delete and re-transfer, which makes me think you can just alter it on the hd5) - will double check when I get home unless someone else can confirm before hand.

No - you can't. How dumb is that? You can change Title, Album Title, Artist and Genre, but you can't change the track number.

I don't understand - once again - why Sony had gone and changed a system that worked PERFECTLY well for all minidisc players and previous HDD players - I'm sorry, but they are just so good at :censored: things up! I'm angry all over - for one with myself for giving my vaio away when it was so much easier to group tracks in it and with Sony for forever taking two steps forward and one back... :( :( :( :( :( :(

I have to disagree johann. I like the why SonicStage organises tracks and puts them on my hd5, makes perfect sense to me. On the other hand the very same SS on my pc can organise groups (i think) just as your describing them on my girlfriends e407 (or is it 507?) which doesn't use genres at all in the why my hd5 does... seems to be a hd5 thing (problem, for you, not me) and perhaps not a SS thing.

yeah you're right - the same sonicstage is actually doing the vaio pocket alright - it is an HD5 thing - it is just all so longwinded when before I could just drag and drop files alround on the vaio in the order I wanted in the group I wanted. yet I could still search by album, artist or genre - I find it very disappointing...

Right guys, Please I really need your help - I'm so frustrated here! First of all - I did see similar threads here and I have read them but the replies really do not offer very much help so I will start from the beginning...

See, I really would like to utilise all the functions on my HD5 and therefore if I want to make use of the acoustic engin or the equalizers I have to convert my files to Atrac. Now that is all fine and well as I actually would prefer doing that, however SonicStage seems to have other plans!

Within the Settings Box, under Specified Bit Rate Transfer Mode, my box is ticked to Atrac 132kbps. This is my prefered compression and I would like to have all my files on my HD5 in the same format. The thing is SonicStage seems to convert about three quarters of my mp3's to Atrac but the rest gets transferred as mp3's with no conversion!

When I right click on the track I can manually convert it to Atrac - even when I select Atrac after right clicking and going to Properties and then selecting File Info - it still transfers the mp3 and not the Atrac file!? This is obviously a fault as it is not doing what I'm asking it to do...

I downloaded the conversion tool from Connect to convert my whole library but it only offers Atrac3plus and I prefer the older Atrac as I prefer the 132kbps.

Please guys, you have no idea how much I will appreciate any light on this - I'm so frustrated I'm at the point of throwing my HD5 in the Thames... seriously, I just can't believe the massive changes to SS 3.1 and how much I prefer the older versions - I never used to have such problems when I converted and transferred files to my minidisc player back in the day...

Sorry to jump in on the thread here lads and I admit I'm being a real thickie about it but having just bought myself a nw-407e (primarily for trying out this learning whilst you're asleep thing - got an exam to sit for work - but I'd also like to have music on it) I still don't understand the group thing. Is it as simple as say "Queen, Scissor Sisters, Keane" etc. etc. and choosing somehow to only listen to a particular group or is there more to it than that?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom