Help someone who can’t even drive choose / buy / lease a car

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Help wanted please
My other half needs a new car. Problem is we don’t really know where to start and it’s worse for me. I don’t even drive. But I want to help her

We are aware of the boom on second hand prices.

Her current car is a very old but serviceable Ford Focus. We got it two and half years ago for 700 quid from a friend. It’s been a good act and owes us nothing but she is sadly on way out

She needs something that’s

Of similar size to the focus. That can fit two adults and three children with comfort.

Something that’s not huge / easy to park

Something that’s safe and reliable. Again three children as previous cargo

Something that’s got a good boot size to it for the weekly shop

She does a ten mile each way drive to work 5 days a week and then half dozen times a year a 400 mile journey to her mums. On top of that there is the day trips out and the like. Would estimate probably 10 to 12 thousand miles a year

It looks like leasing may be an option and we have been advised that discounts can be available via blue light card but our first hurdle is knowing what cars to actually consider

I’m guessing be family hatchback cars but I have zero idea what there even are !

After that it’s cost. This really needs to be as cheap as possible. Maybe 200 to 250 ?

As said I have zero idea and we don’t really have anyone local that we can ask / get advice from

Hope someone can give a few pointers.

It looks like leasing may be an option and we have been advised that discounts can be available via blue light card but our first hurdle is knowing what cars to actually consider

After that it’s cost. This really needs to be as cheap as possible. Maybe 200 to 250 ?
I take it that's the affordable monthly payment?
Of similar size to the focus. That can fit two adults and three children with comfort.

Something that’s not huge / easy to park

Something that’s safe and reliable. Again three children as previous cargo

Something that’s got a good boot size to it for the weekly shop

She does a ten mile each way drive to work 5 days a week and then half dozen times a year a 400 mile journey to her mums. On top of that there is the day trips out and the like.
As a car owner I've no experience of leasing or what's available and costs.
Petrol. For the frequent 5-mile commute.
Any of the slightly-smaller than Ford Focus models will be as large now as the old Focus was - Fiesta, some of the Fiat 500 range (avoid the 3-door model as like the Ka mk2 they're 4-seater).
Vauxhall Corsa, Astra; Peugeot 30x, Citroen C3. Nissan Note, Honda Jazz/Civic.

Any reason you’re not looking at another Focus?

Oh no. No reason at all. Sorry. Was probably my wording. Guess wanted to see what the alternatives are.

You know, like that old advert “like a golf, but not a golf”

Guess basically assuming the focus may be the more expensive of the options.

Have seen the Kia ceed which does seem to be available for around the 200 monthly mark

I've not had any dealings with the smaller Kias but my parents have a Sportage, Plenty of car for your money, their's has been reliable and the service from the dealer far out ways the service they had from Landrover when they had one of their cars and absolutely blows Audi customer service out of the water who feel that lots of front of house staff, videos of your car, and a quick wash after your car has been serviced, is customer service.

If going leasing does anyone know who best to choose ?

Could we go direct with Kia ?

Lease deals are based upon both the new value of the car and what it will be worth when you hand it back. This Residual Value figure can make less popular cars like Kia more expensive than a similarly priced VW or Ford.

There's plenty of leasing deals out there, or you can consider PCP, where you might get a small return on your initial investment in the car.

Have a look at the Ford Puma. Quite spacious, large boot with a magic storage area under the floor and good to drive as well. We've had ours for 18 months and we're very happy with it.

If you need more space, look at the Skoda Octavia. A Mondeo sized car for Focus money.

I would avoid the Golf, as the boot is not huge and there's limited room in the back. Our daughters tell us the Puma is more spacious in the back than our Golf.

I would only consider the Kia if you can get a really good finance deal. The RVs tend to lower and the driving experience is best described as wooly at best. Very little feedback through the wheel and it doesn't inspire much confidence if you want to press on a bit.

You might want to consider EV, as it will be cheaper to run. Leasing can be expensive, as there's still concerns about battery degradation over 60k miles, and that's still affecting RVs to a certain amount. The MG EV is cheap and seems to be getting OK reviews. Not exciting to drive, but it might fit the bill.

thank you
Electric was a consideration but the infrastructure around where we live is very poor and for the trips to her mums the coverage would be an unwanted stress. Maybe in couple years time when local infrastructure is better

I know what saying about the Kia but she has looked at all sorts and I think (with cost being the main consideration by a huge amount) the kia Kia Ceed Hatchback 1.0T GDi ISG 2 5dr has become her preferred car

Yes it does seem to lack the poke and the extras and the like of other cars she would much prefer but can’t seem to see anything else that comes similar for the price

It’s about as similar to her current 06 focus but that much cheaper than the current focus and even the fiesta. Her current focus is (was) 99hp from new I believe

Again I know nothing but the main over riding factor will be the monthly cost.

It’s going to be for 2 to 3 years. It’s got to have at least 12 thousand miles as an allowance but probably go closer to 15 due to various trips we know are coming up

It’s a very stressful experience and I feel so useless around it other than being able to ask for help and share her questions / preferences

Is there a preferred company people use ?

The only one that seems come up under the blue light scheme is motorfinity

Again I really appreciate the help

There's too many lease brokers to mention, they all offer the same deals with various fees but usually ends up being a lease from some one like Arval. For the best deals check out this piston heads thread, warning though mega deals are just not available any more.

The best deals are usually in stock cars, avoid adding any extras to keep costs down as you pay the full price of optional extras over the length of the term.

Is a good starting point, have you considered something like a Qashqai, we had our fully loaded 1.2 Tekna for 3 years and was a great family car that could do 50mpg.

There's too many lease brokers to mention, they all offer the same deals with various fees but usually ends up being a lease from some one like Arval. For the best deals check out this piston heads thread, warning though mega deals are just not available any more.

The best deals are usually in stock cars, avoid adding any extras to keep costs down as you pay the full price of optional extras over the length of the term.

Is a good starting point, have you considered something like a Qashqai, we had our fully loaded 1.2 Tekna for 3 years and was a great family car that could do 50mpg.
If could find a deal for one for under 240 and ideally closer to the 210 seen the Kia at then yes.

My dad had Qashqai for many a year )now had the next model up which name escapes me) and he has loved them. But again it just comes down to that monthly figure being affordable.

£210 for the Kia, what are the terms? How many months up front, mileage? Headline figures are usually there to grab you in but if your paying £2500 upfront it's not so great. You want to be looking at 1+35 or 3+35 deals, I'd go with 10k miles or even 8k as you always over estimate and excess miles charge usually aren't that much on standard cars but you'll have to do the maths if excess mile charge > monthly extra

£210 for the Kia, what are the terms? How many months up front, mileage? Headline figures are usually there to grab you in but if your paying £2500 upfront it's not so great. You want to be looking at 1+35 or 3+35 deals, I'd go with 10k miles or even 8k as you always over estimate and excess miles charge usually aren't that much on standard cars but you'll have to do the maths if excess mile charge > monthly extra

Thank you
See this is the stuff I really have no idea about and appreciate the chat around

That was 24 months with 12 months upfront and 15000 miles

Think we would certainly need 12000 miles and seems some places don’t list that as an option. Jumping straight from 10 to 15

In an ideal world we would have a good reliable friend flogging a nice old reliable 10 year motor for under a grand and give them cash for that.

It’s what happened with the focus. But s you me such a rare thing. Know loads for private sale but both of a nature that would not want to spend that much money with a stranger

Having checked the last couple of years she has put just under 10000 miles on the focus.

When we consider that due to covid we have not been travelling as far and she has only done one trip each year to her mums (this is a 500 mile round trip without the driving she does when there and she would, pre covid, do that 3 times a year so those trips could be 2000 miles alone when factor day trips when there)

Last edited:
Whereabouts are you?
Shropshire / rural

Few chanting points. Terrace houses. On street parking.

Couple years think ev may be no brainer but I know she would also like piece of kind of being able to get to her mums without having to charge the car etc.

As expected, you may be paying £210 a month but with £2500 up front. I'd consider 3 years also, 2 goes by quite quick. You can have any mileage you want, some just don't advertise it.
You have to look at total cost, 12+23 @ £210 is £7350. 3+23 @ £250 is only £6500

Some companies charge a processing fee also £200-300

You really don't want to pay 12 up front, if the worse would to happen and the car is stolen of written off you lose that "deposit" payment unless you take out GAP insurance that covers it.

Last edited:
If you want some real honest friendly advice give these guys a call, Linda and her partner are very helpful. I've had 3 lease through them now.
Tell them what your after and they'll find the best deal out there, ask about stock cars as above they are usually cheaper.
Thier website prices usually aren't up to date.

Shropshire / rural

Few chanting points. Terrace houses. On street parking.

Couple years think ev may be no brainer but I know she would also like piece of kind of being able to get to her mums without having to charge the car etc.

Fair enough. Terrace makes it harder but not impossible. Good luck.

Cheers. This is just sort advice wanted / needed. Very much appreciated

As expected, you may be paying £210 a month but with £2500 up front. I'd consider 3 years also, 2 goes by quite quick. You can have any mileage you want, some just don't advertise it.
You have to look at total cost, 12+23 @ £210 is £7350. 3+23 @ £250 is only £6500

Some companies charge a processing fee also £200-300

You really don't want to pay 12 up front, if the worse would to happen and the car is stolen of written off you lose that "deposit" payment unless you take out GAP insurance that covers it.

Just had a very quick look on the one place offered by blue light. There is no fee as part of the blue light. Again I have bugger all clue what doing but compared a deal over 4 years

12 months upfront gives total of 12139.79 over 4 years whilst 3 months gives total of 12176.24

This is again for 15 thousand miles (again just playing “safe”)

Just had a very quick look on the one place offered by blue light. There is no fee as part of the blue light. Again I have bugger all clue what doing but compared a deal over 4 years

12 months upfront gives total of 12139.79 over 4 years whilst 3 months gives total of 12176.24

This is again for 15 thousand miles (again just playing “safe”)
Don't get too hung up on the Blue Light thing. Quite often the savings are less than you might think, so still shop around on the open market as a comparison.

Same thing happens with salary sacrifice schemes. The rates get jacked up, reducing the real benefit.

A word of warning on leasing right now…unless they have the car in stock the wait for orders is very very long. And lease companies are at the back of the queue for orders…I know because friends of mine have ordered a lease car they were told would take 6 months, they’ve waited a year and a bit and the manufacturer are not even assigning them build slots. So be careful with leasing a factory order. All cars have considerable lead times but manufacturers will prioritise building the cars they make most profit from and that isn’t lease cars. In normal times lease companies get the excess stock but that doesn’t exist now.

You are better off going second hand and taking a low interest bank loan to pay outright I think. Unless you can afford to get into a new car via a pcp and then pay it off second hand would give you the best bet. Just be aware that prices are very inflated right now,

Thank you
In an ideal world we would have a friend / contact selling a cheap run around
The Focus cost us 700 quid and has been ideal until now (engine warning light has popped on again last week)

Definitely does seem to be a sellers market at moment with very limited options

When I leased my company car a few years back it was from Select Car leasing.

They used to do monthly deals and I managed to get a spacious SUV for £180 a month over 2 years with 3 months up front.

I've not gone down the route of leasing again since but if I did I'd look at them first.

When I leased my company car a few years back it was from Select Car leasing.

They used to do monthly deals and I managed to get a spacious SUV for £180 a month over 2 years with 3 months up front.

I've not gone down the route of leasing again since but if I did I'd look at them first.
Sadly the days of that sort of deal are long, long gone. At least until the car shortage is resolved.

Hi

Hoping to bump this thread
Her focus is still going. Just. But we know it’s not going to pass the MOT so she is wanting to look at getting a “new” car

Leasing / loaning / paying per month is going to be the preferred option as being able pay outright is just not possible

Need safe and reliable (3 children)
Need good size boot

Basically need something the same size as her 06 focus but new
Guessing hybrid (should help with fuel costs right?)

She been very happy with Ford so guessing another focus ?
But would the newer focus be of same / similar size to her current car ?

Guess wanting see what options are 6 months on

Cheers all

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom