Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Help - Slim A/V Reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NeilMick, Feb 25, 2005.

1. NeilMick

NeilMick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Right I need help choosing a new A/V Reciever :lease: because the old sony we have had for years has finally given in and no longer works, and isnt worth replacing, the only problem is the Reciver itself cant be any taller than 130mm.

Also seeing as only Yamahas seem to have sync features, but they all seem to be to tall for the space. But if I wasnt having sync problems on the old sony, would it be likely I would have any with just replacing the amp.

Also as I havent bought one for several years, im not upto speed on all the features they have now, it seems s if you can connect the component out of the dvd player to the amp then up to the tv? am i right in thinking this? and what are the advantages of doing it? my old sony only had audio in options and nothing to piggyback so to speak to the tv.

Also not sure about budget, preferably nothing over £350 although might be able to stretch to it.

Thanks for the help!

Neil. :thumbsup:

2. DarrenH

DarrenH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Some of the slimmer amps do not have sufficient space to put lots of video connection options on the backs. The Pioneers generally have 3 or 4 scart sockets on the backs. Whereas the Yamaha RX-SL80 has only two scarts (IN/OUT). The intention is to mainly use the amp for sound only. This will make it difficult to find a slimline amp with component in and out on. Personnally, I would connect directly into the TV from your source unit.

I bought the RX-SL80 (Bit of a Yamaha fan) for use under the TV. It is only 55mm high but weighs a lot for its size! It sounds really nice with speakers that are not too bright themselves. I can recommend it, and can be bought of Ebay for a reasonable price. They retail at £249, but I got mine for £128 + £10 postage. Not too bad! However, will probably go back on Ebay soon as the lounge and television plan has been redevised!

3. shuggy

shuggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    panasonic saxr70 and denon r7800 both nice slimline amps