Help! - Sky without multiroom and no telephone line

M

mad hank

Hi can anyone give some friendly and concise advice please.
I spent some time trawling through previous threads and there didn't seem to be a clear answer.

I want Sky or prefferably Sky+ installing at home.
I do not have a telephone line fitted and i do not intend to get one.

If i purchase my own Sky (or Sky+) box from an AV outlet and get my dish and cable run by an independent installer do i need a telephone line?

No sarchastic answers about don't have Sky if you don't have a telephone line or what's the problem about getting a phone line please. Just take it as granted that i don't have a phone line and i don't intend to get one. Can i make it happen.

Some people mention this £25 waiver charge?? Is this true?
It seems that the only systems Sky stringently enforces this rule on is Multiroom systems which is fair enough but it seems they would miss a lot of business if they deny single room users access to thier service just because they choose not to have a phone line?

Many thanks,

Mad Hank

If you buy your own box and do your own install (or get an independant to do it) then you will be ok, Sky won't install the box or dish without the phone line for some reason so you will have to sort that out yourself.

Once you've got the hardware sorted you only need to phone sky and they will send you a viewing card and contract to sign. When you get the card put it in the box and phone sky to activate it, the card is activated through the satalite dish and not the phone line so you will be OK there, you may have to wait for them to activate it though as they will want that signed contract back first. ;)

Good point, I'm not sure whether you will need a telephone line present to actually activate the account but once this is done you definitely won't need one connected if you supplied the equipment yourself.

mad hank said:
Hi can anyone give some friendly and concise advice please.
I spent some time trawling through previous threads and there didn't seem to be a clear answer.

I want Sky or prefferably Sky+ installing at home.
I do not have a telephone line fitted and i do not intend to get one.

If i purchase my own Sky (or Sky+) box from an AV outlet and get my dish and cable run by an independent installer do i need a telephone line?

No sarchastic answers about don't have Sky if you don't have a telephone line or what's the problem about getting a phone line please. Just take it as granted that i don't have a phone line and i don't intend to get one. Can i make it happen.

Some people mention this £25 waiver charge?? Is this true?
It seems that the only systems Sky stringently enforces this rule on is Multiroom systems which is fair enough but it seems they would miss a lot of business if they deny single room users access to thier service just because they choose not to have a phone line?

Many thanks,

Mad Hank

My neighbour (who has Sky + with Multiroom) had Sky come round to fix one of his telephone sockets, and the engineer said that its only compulsory to have the kit permanently connected to a phone if you have Multiroom - otherwise it isn't although I guess the clue there is the word "permanently" !!
However, the other posters here seem to be fairly certain about the issue !

I have posted the T&C's of sky on here many moon ago . IIRC , they state that if the box is installed by Sky , then the phoneline has to be connected for 12 months regardless of package . If you pay for a multiroom sub , then both boxes have to be connected for the duration of the contract .

As has been already stated , if you DIY , or get an independent to install ( normally at a premium ie not as cheap as SKY) you will not need to connect

Good luck

John

Thanks to all those who took the time out to answer my query.

The answer seems clear enough then. Avoid going through Sky directly and avoid having to fit a phone line. :)

One further question.... Does this also apply to Sky+? I heard they track your viewing habits and record similar shows automatically?

If you do not have a telephone you can get a standard box installed by Sky for a one off payment of £25.00. This does not apply to Sky+, or the HD service when it starts.Both of these must be permanantly connected to a working phone line, even the 12 month limit does not apply. Sky+ does not record anything unless you set it. It does not automatically record similar programs.

Taken word for word from SKY+ conditions booklet

Section C - General SKY+ Conditions

C1. Telephone line connection

(a) you must keep your telephone line (which must be fixed and operational) connected to your sky + stb for at least 12 months from installation(if installed by sky) and at all times during your minimum period

(b) says if you have another box you need to keep both connected while subscribing . This bit isn't a direct quote , but isn't relevent in the op'c sace as it refers to multi room

John

I've had Sky+ for three months without it being connected and no noise from Sky yet. My understanding is that it's more effort than it's worth for them to chase it up and they only REALLY care if you have multiroom...of course, I'm only 3 months into my 12 and I might yet regret saying that...

One further question.... Does this also apply to Sky+? I heard they track your viewing habits and record similar shows automatically?

As long as you arrange the install yourself and there is no multiroom involved then you don't need a phone line for sky+ either, it will work fine. Sky+ functionality won't be effected in any way the only thing you lose if you don't have the phone line connected are the interactive features which is no great loss in my opinion, nothing much on there that you can't do over the internet (except for the games).

There is a small element of risk in not having your phone line connected, since Sky have access to your bank account, and could (theoretically) take out the cost difference of an unsubsidised box from the account. In practice (as others have said) this rarely happens unless you are on multiroom, and if you supply the box yourself, there is no phone requirement at all. The other thing you won't be able to do without a phone line is order movies via the box from Box Office.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom