Help - Sky Q Mini keeps losing connection to main box

Time to move on

Thanks all for the input - the linked setup article was an interesting read and has given me food for thought, mainly the connection between the main Q box and the router. I've noticed no issues with this so far but last night I went to watch a movie via the on demand section and the download took way way longer than normal. (as an aside, I didn't think the picture quality was particularly great)

Quick question - as a temporary fix - can I swap the positions of the Q & mini box over to keep the Mrs happy? We still have the old cables from the old Sky+HD box behind the TV (if these are still connected to the dish)

The article does not show a Hybrid install or a full Ethernet. It is incorrect to say you should never disable the 5GHz band as you do if you want to use full Ethernet setup.

Quick question - as a temporary fix - can I swap the positions of the Q & mini box over to keep the Mrs happy? We still have the old cables from the old Sky+HD box behind the TV (if these are still connected to the dish)

It depends on whether the old cables are still connected and what type of LNB you have. Do you have easy access to the dish so you can visually see first?

I've made some progress (of sorts)

I unplugged ethernet from both boxes, and then pulled the power from the mini box. On the Q box, I did a reset on the network settings to start from scratch. I then connected to my BT router wirelessly.

On the mini box, I went through the connect to the Q box routine, TV now seems to be working fine, BUT the menu system on both boxes is quite sluggish in operation - especially the TV guide.

The network settings on the mini box says its connected to the BT router rather than on a "SKYxxx" named network - this is also the same on the Q box.

I plan on plugging the ethernet cables back in over the next day or two and see if the TV issues reappear.

Edit - I should have noted that when switching the mini box back on, I chose the network setup option as if it was the first time setting up that box. I believed I was connecting back to the Q box as I wasnt asked for a password - but the network name is listed as the router (when it always used to be SKYxxx)

Last edited:
Yes my mini says it is connected to home Wi-fi. However I know it is not. 1. The Wi-fi is turned off and 2. The SSID it is displaying does not exist anymore and possibly is derived from a setting on the main box that is historical and switched off. I suspect your mini is connected to Main box by Sky inbuilt Wi-fi.

From memory but I will check, my Sky Q box gives the network name as my SSID even though it is connected via Ethernet only. It might have once been connected so does remember o_O

Yes my mini says it is connected to home Wi-fi. However I know it is not. 1. The Wi-fi is turned off and 2. The SSID it is displaying does not exist anymore and possibly is derived from a setting on the main box that is historical and switched off. I suspect your mini is connected to Main box by Sky inbuilt Wi-fi.

So what I should do really is check that the 2 boxes have different IP adresses to confirm they have independent connections?

So what I should do really is check that the 2 boxes have different IP adresses to confirm they have independent connections?
I dunno, I cant get my head around that. If you unpower your router will the mini still play content already recorded on main box? If so it must be connecting directly with main, if not it doesnt prove much.

Well, after a few days of the mini box being connected wirelessly to my BT router rather than the Q box - I've had no picture break ups at all.

Both boxes connected wireless - ethernet cables unplugged

Menu is very sluggish though, and now my concern is that the Sky engineer will determine that the issue is my network and say its beyond his remit to solve.

Final update from me as the issue appears to be resolved following an engineer visit.

Q box was tested and the signal strength was week apparently - the cables going into the back of the box have had new terminations put on, but nothing else was done to the existing hardware that I'm aware of.

There were two engineers sorting things out, and unfortunately it was my Mrs that was in the house when they came. One of them accessed my BT router but I've no idea what, if any, settings were changed.

I now have a booster box sat in between the Q and mini (despite them only being 10ft apart) and how this solved the problem when they were hardwired anyway suggests it was something in the router rather than either of the Sky boxes in my mind.

One of the engineers did say that the Sky Q and BT routers don't "play nice".

i've been having similar problems the past week.
i have sky q with 3 minis and i can't get any of the minis to reconnect to the q. running off a BT router with whole home wifi. had no issues for a couple of months but this happened a week ago. got them all reconnected but happened the next morning lost connection again. repeated this twice successfully but now cannot get them to reconnect.
i've tried removing the whole home wifi and still cannot get them to reconnect so that is not the issue. numerous reports of this out there but cannot find a good solution. sky blame bt and vice versa. sky or bt have pushed out an update that has caused issues in my opinion.
q box is fine. had to resort to using the iPad and sky app upstairs.

hey did you get sorted? I have the same set up as you, only thing that fixed my minis not connecting was to put a whole home WiFi disc next to the sky q main box and connect it via Ethernet.

i have 2 minis and there hasn’t been a dropout for months like this. They are connected via WiFi.

it seems to have settled down in the last couple of days. not sure if any updates have been pushed out but for now it's all working well.

I also have had these MR109 connectivity errors. We have a sky hub with the Sky Q box and the mini box connected over ethernet. Today we noticed that turning on my wifes Android Tablet induced the error. I believe that I have now sorted out this issue. I logged into the sky hub and noticed that the mini box had been assigned the same IP address as the Android tablet. How this has happened I have no idea. I have now assigned a static IP address to the Android tablet from the advanced menu Lan IP setup. The critical step was to "forget the WiFi connection" on the Android tablet and then reconnect. 24 hours now without issue and we have been having these issues for 12 weeks.

Did you set the tablet's static IP to one that is outside the hub's DHCP range?

Could be that DHCP is issuing that IP address to either the mini or tablet when the other is switched off. That's why you should limit the DHCP pool range and set fixed IPs outside this range.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom