Help. Sky HD just cuts out

jimglasgow

Standard Member
Has anyone came across this, my Sky HD box has just started cutting out every 20 mins, the green light is still on no picture. Disconect he power and it satrts to run again for 20 mins..anyone any ideas

Nymins

My picture and audio has been cutting out quite a lot today on the HD channels, namely Sky Movies and Sports.

Pace box here, maybe something to do with the update? Probably not, but its the only thing i can think off.

sceptic

My box goes to red, for no apparent reason, and has to be rebooted. It seems to be on recordings and "Anytime".
Sky say it's a software problem and say to report to to the installer - who will be off until Tuesday :mad::mad:

jimglasgow

Standard Member

sceptic

I've got the same/similar problem as posted in this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/sky-hd/1004027-skyhd-box-keeps-going-standby.html

It's possible that a full re-set has helped as it has behaved itself today - fingers crossed.

Interesting that Sky said it was a software problem, Sceptic as they never mentioned an possible software issues to me. I have a Sky box, installed by Sky - could that be why?
I have to say that the guy who dealt with the call didn't inspire much confidence. I asked him several times how he knew it was a software problem but he evaded the question.
I've done a reset virtually every day in the week I've had the new HD box.

DoubleStew

Standard Member
How do you do a full reset!

Press the services button on your handset
Go to settings(spanner)
Press select - it will jump to Picture
Press 01 then Select
You should be on settings
Look for Full system reset
Press select
You will get a warning that you will lose all your recordings and series links - nothing you can do about I'm afraid
Press select
The box will go in to standby mode - leave for about 3 minutes
Switch back on

Good luck!

sceptic

Same problem tonight whilst watching a recording. Phoned Sky who did a health check which she said would send signals to the box and should correct the problem. I also had to delete all my recordings. There was no mention of a software problem.
I hope I'm wrong but I have no confidence that any of this will resolve the problem of the box freezing.

itchytrig

Standard Member
Hi,

Same problem here, watching my SKY HD Box, though not watching HD at the time, it just cuts out while watching the F1 on BBC1. Screen goes off and then you just get a fuzzy interference/no signal screen.

Have to unplug the box, plug back in, wait for it to restart then power on... not good for keeping up with the F1!!!:mad:

Happened twice today already, happened a couple of times this week too. I really do not want to do a hard reset, as looking at these posts, it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

All that does, is loose your recordings!

C'mon SKY, please explain! I do trust SKY customer support will be aware of this... I am putting these tags in to help this thread, get to the top on Google, then perhaps SKY may take note??? (who am I kidding!)...:(

tags: "sky hd problem","sky cuts out","sky hd fails","sky box cuts out","sky hd box fails"

itchytrig

Standard Member
This is just a saga now...

Just cut out again, about 20 min cycle of staying on, then cuts to fuzz. Green light stays on though?

Any others today with same problem, I know the weather is bucketing it down, surely that isn't the problem... is it?

Switched off the box, gone back to Freeview so I can watch the F1. :(

ade234

Standard Member
What make of HD box have you got?

This sounds like a power supply problem. I had similar with a Samsung box. It would randomly reboot itself and it just got worse and worse.

Suggest you call Sky and get a replacement box but back up all your recordings first using the excellent copy+ software!

symbol1234

Standard Member
There are numerous links on this (Thomson PSU upgrade). A company named SATCURE do a capacitor kit and a full PSU replacement.

itchytrig

Standard Member
Thanks will look into it. Typically, since the weekend it appears to be working fine! Grrrr

Don't we just want a sky box thats reliable and can trust!

Are Sky bothered, do they check these forums for feedback???

Masteriser

Are Sky bothered, do they check these forums for feedback???

They pretend to be bothered, but would seem to be completely in denial about the scale of the Thomson power supply build quality problem. Whenever they get an HD box returned, it would seem that they do not allow enough time for the repair agents to diagnose and repair any problems. If the box starts up, finds the signal and records something it is given a wipe with a damp cloth and deemed fit to be classed as re-furbished. As a result of this, the so called re-furbished (or Grade A) recycled boxed the installers carry if they need to swap out your box have a truly appalling failure rate. Myself and several other posters have got into quite heated debates with a Sky insider on another forum over the whole issue of the original problem and Sky's repair programme.

I would suggest you test your signal from the dish with another known good digibox (do you have an old one, or do you have a friend who would let you borrow theirs? Check both feed cables if it is a standard digibox). If your signal is good, the next thing to do is to open up your HD box and have a look at the power supply (this is easy to do). There are links to lots of instructions and pictures of what to look for and anything else you need to do within this post I wrote on another forum. It is slightly out of date now in that Thomson no longer supply new HD boxes, but the rest of it still applies.

Another very good source of upgraded power supplies is Digifix. Michael who runs digifix specified the parts that Satcure sell in their packs. As far as I am aware, Digifix also do the rebuliding work on the faulty original power supplies returned to Satcure under their exchange scheme (ie the old original ones that had died and had been replaced by the upgraded Satcure one, these are then upgraded and sent on to the next batch of customers).

If I were you, I would be very wary of the copy cat power supply sellers on ebay. While I am sure some of them are OK, there have been reports of counterfeit power supplies and also a poor standard of repairs done to existing boards. Satcure and Digifix, while not the cheapest, are tried and tested.

I hope this information has been helpful

itchytrig

Standard Member
Just to let you all know, since my last post the darn box has... well behaved itself! No miss haps, power downs, nothing.

Except for tonight, which after about 2 mins, decided it would let me use it again?

So, did it just have the flu or something? All better now...

(should I be saying that while holding on to a piece of wood???)

Will keep this updated... thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom