HELP - Sky+ HD Free Sat box troubles

Secondhand

Just moved into a new house and the old owner has left a Sky+ HD Sat box. The problem is I only have BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Channel4 and Channel5 (all in HD) - the rest say ‘insert your Sky viewing card’ which I understand for channels like Sky1 but why can I not get free channels like ITV2 and DAVE?

I’m not a Sky customer and don’t intend to be. Do I need to replace the Sky box for a free sat box?

Also, the back of the Sky+ HD box has a cable that splits into Dish Input 1 & Dish Input 2. When I’ve looked online for another free sat box, they only appear to have only one input in. Which cable would I use and what does each cable do?

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
I can't answer the first bit as it's a while since I used a Sky box without a sub.

The two cables do the same thing so you could use either. The reason for the two is the Sky box is also a PVR (only with a Sky subscription) so you can watch one channel while recording another. If you look at this recordable box you will see two inputs, whereas the non recordable boxes will only have one.

Edit: I think from memory that if you had a Sky viewing card you could get more channels even after you ended contract. I can't remember if it needed to be paired to the box or anything like that though so not sure if any old viewing card would work. I may have this all wrong though so perhaps you might want to ask in the Sky section of the forum here...

Last edited:

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
Just another thought. Are you trying to watch the HD versions of Dave and ITV2? If so I don't think you can get them without a subscription and I'm 99% sure a Freesat card wouldn't help either. The regular non HD versions will be way down in the guide somewhere.

Secondhand

Thanks both. I found a random Sat Box I had floating around. Plugged it in and presto - all free channels work perfectly including lovely HD pictures on my LG OLED. Thanks for both your help.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom