1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP!!! Sharp GA3 37" and denon 1910

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by acabucca, Feb 17, 2005.

1. acabucca

acabucca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I have today recieved my new sharp 37" GA3, connected it to my sky+ via scart and connected the denon 1910 via dvi.

I can honestly say I am totally dissapointed.

The picture is terrible on both sources. (not to mention I think I have an ex demo panel, it has a nasty scratch on screen. I'll deal with that tomorrow)

What I need to know is....

Why when watching dvd I get a black vertical bar on right side?? i.e. picture does not fit??

When watching ither dvd the vertical bar becomes half the screen!!!

Whats going on???

I am also not happy with the sky picture but was expecting it not to be crystal.

I am seriously P'd off now. I feel I have wasted my money. Obviously I will deal with the TV retailer tomorrow, but I'm seriously considering just returnig the whole lot and sticking with my 100hz wega crt.

Can anyone help??

:lease:

2. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Make sure you select RGB output on the Sky box and RGB input on the GA3. That should improve the picture (composite looks terrible).

The bit-rate and picture quality seems to vary from one sky channel to another - where I am (near London) channel five looks quite good - but BBC and SkyOne have lots of Mpeg artefacts. Don't blame Sharp. Blame Murdoch.

Re DVD via DVI. I haven't tested yet so I can't comment on the black bands. But my old RGB DVD player looks excellent on my GA3. Have you tried adjusting the contrast and brightess? (see GA settings thread).

If you really want to see what the set is capable of try downloading some WMVHD clips from Microsoft and playing from PC via VGA or DVI interface - looks incredible.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you tried altering the Positition of the screen ? If you have a something like Star Wars with a THX Optimiser, there are test patterns to centralise the screen. The Position option is in the menu somwhere.

Take a look at this thread, here are some of the settings that people use on their Sharps. It's not a definitive answer because lighting conditions and personal preference will obviously alter. It may be that the DNR is on which looks awful. Also if the sharpness is set too high (It actually should be in the minus figures) then the picture will look rubbish.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168684&highlight=settings

Also, as LCDGuru says, the bitrate on some Sky channels are quite low. When you've got the settings done properly, take a look at a movie channel with a higher bit rate.

Richie.

4. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    You can't center the screen in DVI mode... only analogue signals can be centered! (in pc-digital mode you can "auto-configure" the screen and that helps but in av-digital mode there is no such option)

btw. I have my Samsung via DVI and +4 Sharpness on the panel... if I set it to minus I can forget about DVI because there is no advantage anymore.

5. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Make sure you have the Sharp in AV Digital which should auto size the screen size. In PC digital the only full screen output you can get is on DVD outputs of 1366x768. I don't think the Denon will support that resolution (unlike the Samsung which does). The nearest it does is 720p, which will result in an offset picture.

Persist with settings and give some time for the TV to settle. PQ on mine improved significantly after a few weeks of use (used get a lot of flare and had to turn backlight right down)

SKY on RGB is ok now, DVD on DVI or Component is superb. (And my last TV was a 100Hz WEGA Sony !).

Talking to Sharpserv, they reckon that RGB on the Sharps isn't too hot, component and DVI are much better irrespective of signal quality. Recommended feeding SKY RGB into the TV via an RGB to Component adaptor.

Thinking of getting one to try, to see if it improves my SKY PQ (even though its reasonably good).

Stick with it !
    :smashin:

6. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    > Talking to Sharpserv, they reckon that RGB on the Sharps isn't too hot,
    > component and DVI are much better irrespective of signal quality.

That's odd. :confused: I would expect RGB to be similar quality to the Y Pb Pr. Switching to RGB got rid of all the colour crawl problems on the composite input. For me, the dominant issue with Sky now is the Mpeg compression artefacts shown up by the large screen size.

One other point:

MickyGee says his HD745 can generate native 1368x768. However McE's can only do 576p/480p, 720p and 1080i. But VicBarry says he can only do 480p and 1080i. Confusing. :confused: Awaiting the arrival of my HD745 on Monday with some trepidation. :rolleyes:

7. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It says it supports 768p on the box !

And it definately shows as 1366x768 on my Sharp in PC mode - 1:1 with no scaling !

Sharps only support 768p in PC Digital not AV digital. Maybe MCE hasn't tried it in PC Digital yet ...............

Pleased with th PQ for £110.

Variation in PQ due to different circuitry within Sharp for handling YUV compared Scart RGB. Sharpserv engineer think there is less colour beed and a more natural image on component even interlaced. RGB much better than composite - I agree.
    Will find out if component better when I get my converter !

Got to be worth a try :clap:

8. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great news. :) I was getting worried with all these posts about black bands and 720p. Good luck with the RGB-component converter. :smashin:

One question though: How does the HD745 handle 'film mode'? (ie. 2:2 pulldown with 50Hz DVDs). Is it manual or automatic? I find the manual film mode on the Sharp GA4 really improves the resolution when watching movies - I hope the HD745 has a similar feature.

9. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It doesn't appear to have a film mode unfortunately. This option also isn't available on the Sharp in PC mode. But I still prefer the 768p image with PC input to the 720p one with AV input and film mode on.

Let me know how you get on.

Mick

10. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Micky - that's reassuring.

I'm hoping the HD745 automatically detects movie material and uses the appropriate deinterlacing technique. I guess the comparison to make is:

a) 576i via component from the HD745 with the Sharp in 'Film mode'

- versus

b) 768p via DVI from the HD745 with the Sharp in PC Dot-byDot mode.

If the Sammy has it's own automatic 'film mode' then b) should look better. If not then it's possible a) might actually look better.

11. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

It does 768p only in pc-digital mode (no sharpness feature available in the sharp menu that is in av-digital mode) but 1080i is not working in pc-digital mode but is worse anyway because the sharp has not a native 1080 resolution.

btw. I shouldn't have watched the DivX HD and WMVHD samples... everything else looks bad compared to the quality those formats achieve... HOLY COW!!! :eek:

Everybody has to see this but afterwards you would like to have a DVD in that quality... is's simply perfect!

I just ordered the Terminator2 Extreme DVD with a seperate WMVHD Version of the movie...

12. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my Samsung HD745 today.

First impressions are good - certainly a big improvement over my 5 year old cheapo Alba player. Well worth £110. :smashin:

Some puzzling observations:
    This is the first time I've connected to the GA4 via DVI-D and I was suprised to find that the Sharp's "Setup/Fine Sync" menu was still active - giving me clocks per line and clock phase adjustment .what the fudge! The clock comes down the cable with the data - so there should be no need for these adjustments. This suggests that Sharp might still be using some sort of analog front end processing even when using the digital input! Message to Sharp: Can we have an all digital interface next time please. That's the whole point of DVI!! Still at least the video noise via DVI is alot less than via the analog inputs.

For the record here's all the DVI modes available on my unhacked system:

AV-Digital
    720x576p - visible 4mm square blocks
    1024x768p - Sharp reports this as 'Out of Range'
    1280x720p - OK
    1920x1080i - gives interlace combing artefacts on the edges of moving objects - no matter how I set the Sammy and Sharp interlace settings. (Maybe the sharp won't accept interlace via DVI??)

PC-Digital
    720x576p - Blocky
    1024x768p - best picture
    1280x720p - Sharp cannot centre this image
    1920x1080i - Sharp reports "Out of Range"

Still not entirely sure what the difference is between Sharp's AV and PC digital modes. The AV mode has more adjustments like tint and sharpness - so I figure PC digital may bypass some of their signal mangling circuits - prolly a good thing.

The best mode so far seems to be PC-Digital 1024 x 768. This can then be zoomed horizontally to fill the screen by selecting 'Full' zoom on the Sharp. Again, it's a shame the HD745 can't produce a native 1368x768 output for dot-by-dot display on the Sharp. Passing the video thru 2 scaling processes can only degrade the picture quality.

Deinterlacing: Sammy offer 'Frame, field and auto' options. You have to stop playback and press a number of keys to change modes so it's hard to assess the difference. However the frame mode *doesn't* have any combing artefacts so I assume they're doing 2-2 pulldown correctly.

Picture Quality: Pretty good - the biggest problem seems to be greyscale quantisation noise in dark parts of the picture - (using ROTK as test material) but I figure this is just the DVD encoding right? (or do really expensive players improve on this??). I also agree with McE's comments about being able to see greyscale contours in the reds on peoples noses.

Conclusions so far: Good value for money - but having seen some HD DivX and WMHD clips, people who say upconverted DVD obviates the need for HD are talking RUBBISH (Barry Fox!). :lesson:

13. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    LCDGuru,

Have you tried hacking the DVD player and upscaling the image over component ? I want to know how it rates compared to DVI.

I'm wondering whether I should get a hacked Sammy 745 and upscale over Component or just get a Pio 575. I've got a Sharp but I'm using the DVI on the laptop.

Richie.

14. LcdGuru

LcdGuru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't tried the Sammy component output yet. Bit nervous about applying the hack until I really need it since someone reported odd behaviour after the hack.

> I've got a Sharp but I'm using the DVI on the laptop.

I reckon your PC may give better picture quality since it can generate a native 1368 x 768 output - unlike the HD745 - so the Sharp can run in dot-by-dot mode.

However, I'm not sure how PCs handle 50Hz DVDs - so motion portrayal may be more juddery on a PC.

15. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, unfortunately the laptop is a little old and so I think the stretching it to the Sharps native res would be pushing it, nevermind putting a scaling untility on there !

Oh, and the fact that it's only got a CD Player ! Role on cheaper PCs for a proper HTPC !!!

16. McE

McE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    richie, have tried some other source via component on your sharp? I'm just wondering if yours has that blooming and shadowing on reds as mine did.

What exactly would you like to know about component and the sam745?

17. MickyGee

MickyGee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Richie - Component picture very good, got the edge on a 575 I think.

18. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi chaps,

I'm really torn between the 575 and the upscaled 745/945. I suppose the Sams have the edge with decent component and digital for when I get a AV receiver with DVI/HDMI switching.

McE, haven't been able to try component as I haven't got any sources with it. I got the TV from JL so the 5 years warranty will cover that I'm sure.

Bu now, I've found that Samsung are bringing out the 850 and 950 models.....got to find out more on these.....

Thanks,

Richie.