1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help setting up Yamaha 1400 & KEF eggs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Ali K, Jan 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have wall mounted KEF eggs set up in a 6.1 layout with a Q6C replacing the original centre that has been assigned to centre back, all running from a Yamaha 1400. Having run the Yamaha auto set-up I am receiving strange results. The amp sees the centre as large (even though its range is only 50HZ to 27 KHz) and sets cross-over frequency at 200 Hz (which I believe to be far too high and have manually adjusted to 80 Hz). The parametric equaliser also sets certain bands at -10 db or +8 db which seems to be too extreme.

Could anyone help me with the correct set-up? Should I just copy the settings of the PEQ into the manual GEQ and adjust the more extreme bands?

My other question regards the phase adjustments and cross-over drop-off slope (-12 sb/-24 db)/frequency on the sub. My room is about 15' by 11' and rectangular with the sub on the left hand wall, some 4' away from the front left speaker. How do I determine the correct phase and drop-off slope?

Your help will be greatly appreciated

2. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone :lease:

3. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    The amp's auto-setup isn't always 100% accurate. I have the Q6C and have it set to small.

4. Ali K

Ali K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for the input.

I have already manually adjuste some of the settings. After several tries and slight re-positioning of the speakers, I have finally got an auto EQ result with maximum adjustments of around +-5 db in one or two band with most bands being adjusted in the range of around +-2 or 3 db. It certainly sounds better than having all speakers flat, but I still have an uneasy feeling about the auto PEQ. :confused: