Help setting up Wake on LAN

Ben

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to setup WoL on a Dell XPS 630i running Win 8 Pro (WoW is not needed). I have enabled the following in the BIOS:

- Remote Wake Up
- Auto Power On (Not sure if I need this-?)
- AC Recovery (Set to "Last". Again, not sure if I need this-?)

The following was already enabled in the ethernet power management properties:

- Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
- Allow this device to wake the computer
- Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer

The following was also already enabled in the NVIDIA Control Panel:

- Wake on Magic Packet
- Wake on pattern match
- WakeOnLAN From PowerOff
- Device sleep on disconnect (Should I disable this?)
- Flow Contol (Disabled by default. Should I enable this?)
- Low Power State Link Speed (Disabled by default. Should I enable this?)

I've also installed & enabled Windows "Simple TCP/IP Services" (not even sure if I need it!)... And now I'm a tad stuck! I've tried a few different free WoL apps on my iPhone4 & none of them have worked, so I'm guessing the problem lies elsewhere. Any ideas?

On the device you are using the send the WoL packets, ensure it is configured to send 4 or 5 WoL packets. Some machines will only respond if a few packets are received.

Assuming this is all connected via a router.

Yeah, sorry, I have a Sagemcom F@ST2304 router connected to Sky broadband.

I had to do something like this to my D-Link to get WoL working Wake On LAN (WOL) Guide

Thanks for the link. Following that guide, I have:

- Registered & setup a dynamic DNS on my router (Not sure if I needed to, as I'm just trying to use WoL, rather than WoW, but I did it anyway).
- Reserved 192.168.0.3 for the PC in the DHCP server (This is the IP the PC always seems to have anyway. The DHCP server requested the MAC address too, so I entered it).
- Tried forwarding UDP port 9 to both 192.168.0.3 & 192.168.0.127 (I'm unclear as to which of these two I should forward it to, the PC IP or the broadcast IP? My subnet mask is 192.168.0.128).
- Created & enabled an inbound rule in Windows Firewall to allow UDP port 9...

Still no luck. Have I missed something? Are there any tests I can do to see where the fault lies? :(

On the device you are using the send the WoL packets, ensure it is configured to send 4 or 5 WoL packets. Some machines will only respond if a few packets are received.

Thanks. So far I have downloaded Mocha WoL, SimpleWoL & RemoteBoot WoL. SimpleWoL definitely sends at least five packets, as you can adjust the amount from 5-50 (Plus it tells you how many it has sent).

Last edited:
Well, after a bit of late night tinkering, I've discovered that it was Windows 8 "hybrid shutdown" causing the problem. After going to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > System Settings > Shutdown settings > Turn off fast start-up... It now works like a charm! :suicide:

It also works without enabling any of the stuff I tried in my previous posts, including port-forwarding, reserving IPs, creating firewall exceptions, etc, etc... "Remote Wake Up" doesn't even need to be enabled in the BIOS!

Anyway, I'm a happy bunny, now off to bed. Cheers guys :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom