1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help setting up tv / sky /vcr / dvd / playstation

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Matthew Attoe, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Firstly, I apologise if this thread is not in the correct forum, but I wasn't sure which one to put it in as it involves all sorts of equipment. Perhaps there could be a set-up / config forum (or is there and I was looking to hard to see it :) )

A mate of mine has a Panasonic 28 WS tv with 2 scarts and we are desperately trying to get everything connected and working correctly in the most efficient manner possible.

Basically, I wanted to set up the equipment as follows:

SKY (tv) -> TV Scart 1
    SKY (vcr) <> VCR Scart (L3) (this is what the vcr manual states to connect it to)
    PLAYSTATION -> VCR Scart (L2) - the idea being that when the PS is turned on and the VCR tuner is set to L2 the PlayStation would be piped thru the Sky box in TV Scart 1.
    DVD -> Scart 2

However, the technology is having other ideas.

Now can someone confirm that what should happen is that she should be able to watch sky via scart 1 and then when a video is played or the playstation is turned on (and the vcr tuner set to the right scart), the vcr signal should be passed back thru the sky box into the tv scart 1? Because that isn't what is happening.

The video plays in the machine but no picture appears. I've tried swapping all the scarts around to eliminate faulty leads (of which we found one and she's bought a good quality replacement).

I've managed a rubber-band and tippex fix-it solution, which kind of works at the moment, but that means she has to keep swapping the DVD / PS scarts as the children require and if I could get everything working as I hope that should be eliminated.

I realise that this post is a bit of a ramble, but I hope someone can make sense of it and help to offer a solution.

Many thanks in advance,

Matthew (and Jane, the mate!)

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does the VCR have RGB pass through? If it does i would link the Sky TV output to the input on the VCR,and then pass the VCR's output to the TV.Then plug the PS into the VCR's AV2.Your DVD connects straight to the TV's AV2.(assumimg both SCART's on the TV are RGB??)

3. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    No, only scart 1 on the tv is RGB. I did set the sky box to rgb but she prefers the composite image to the rgb one as the rgb one makes her sky channel guide / info bar go "wriggly" :)

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    try a better sheilded scart sky looks use less on PAL (composite)
    I would go VCR>SKY>TV AV1 and PS2 to AV2 (is AV2 S_video compliant? if so get the S-video lead for PS2 and an S-video>scart adapter....

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What about the DVD??

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  7. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    If possible, this really needs to be done with the current leads and equipment that we have. She is a single mum with not a lot of cash. This actually all came about becuase I lent her my old PlayStation One for her children to play with, and I "figured" i could wire everything up better.

The dvd player has only one scart, which I don't think is rgb, but couldn't confirm 100%.

Anyone know where I can get a PlayStation One lead that i could treat her to, that outputs composite video and stereo (you know, the 3 jack type; red, white and yellow) because then she could plug the PS into the front of the TV. Might be a simpler way.

It's just annoying the problems with the video. It's quite a new looking Sony VCR. An 810 I believe. It's not very easy working on her set-up either as it's right in a corner, next to a scaldingly-hot radiator ("Are you okay round there, you look a little flushed down one side") which I really banged my head on, which, of course, she found hysterical.