help setting up system

ellpeg1

Standard Member
:lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease:

i am sure you all have read a similar post many a time but please dont ignore it i need help
i am completely new to this, i need help on this set up and what cables i need many thanks go easy and explain all in idiot monosyballic form

the hardware involved is denon avr 1707 with denon dvd 2910 with kef eggs 2005.2 and sub woofer, tv is a toshiba 37wlt with 2 hdmi connections and sky+box

what cables do need?
how do i connect for best performance?
if i buy speaker cable do i need connectors?
does the speaker cables need terminated?
do i need an optical cable etc
intending to buy 25metres of 1.5mm vandamme blue
what else do i need?

the system will be used to play mostly dvds
is it worth upgrading to a sky hdd box?
will i get 5.1 sound from my sky+ box help
many thanks in advance

please help as missus is doing my head in after buying all this and still not connected

:lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease::lease:

berkeley384

I am completely new to this, i need help on this set up and what cables i need many thanks go easy and explain all in idiot monosyballic form

denon avr 1707
denon dvd 2910
Kef Eggs & 2005.2 and sub woofer,
toshiba 37wlt
sky+box

what cables do need? How do i connect for best performance?

You need ...

1* Optical cable for Audio for Sky+
1*Scart Lead for Picture for Sky+
1*Optical Cable for Audio for DVD Player
1*HDMI lead for Picture for DVD Player
1*Shielded Single Phono (RCA) cable for the subwoofer

Sky

Connect Optical lead from optical out socket on sky box to optical in on the Denon amp, remember which optical in on the amp you have chosen as you will have to assign it to the relevent input option on the Amp - E.G. Optical 1 = TV - Go into sky audio settings on the sky box and set Optical Audio to Dolby Digital.

Connect Scart lead from back of Sky+ box to back of Toshiba TV

DVD

Connect 2nd optical lead from back of Denon DVD player to another Optical in on the Denon Amp, remember which optical in on the amp you have chosen as you will have to assign it to the relevent input option on the Amp - E.G. Optical 2 = DVD

Connect HDMI lead from Back of Denon DVD to one of the HDMI inputs on the Toshiba TV

Speakers & Sub

Connect up all speakers - be careful wiring up the rears, make sure you wire your rear speakers to the posts marked "Surround" and NOT "back"

Connect the Subwoofer to the amp using the Shielded RCA / Phono Cable - refer to the manual but there will be a socket marked "SUB OUT" or similar - Connect that to the input on the back of the Subwoofer

if i buy speaker cable do i need connectors?

No - You can buy Banana plugs but I question whether they will really make any audible difference

does the speaker cables need terminated?

No - You can just use the bare wire ends

do i need an optical cable etc

Yes see above

is it worth upgrading to a sky hdd box?

Thats a matter of opionion - I have Sky+ HD and wouldnt want to be without it :smashin:

will i get 5.1 sound from my sky+ box help

Yes - You will get propper Dolby Digital 5.1 from channels such as the movie channels where the program is broadcast with full 5.1 surround sound

For any channels that are being broadcast in Stereo (most channels) - set the amp to Pro Logic II (PLII) or DTS NEO 6

This takes a stereo signal and re creates the 5.1 effect with it.

Last edited:

ellpeg1

Standard Member
superb

wheres best bit to buy the cables and how much should i look spend

i have speaker cable thanks

thanks again

Danepack

and may i suggest to put a little sticker on each speaker cable strand...telling you if its fsw = front speaker white, fsr = front speaker red.
can be a nitemare if you have to hook another amp up and have all those wires looking at you:)

Last edited:

berkeley384

superb

wheres best bit to buy the cables and how much should i look spend

i have speaker cable thanks

thanks again

You dont need to go crazy with expensive cables here,

You could maybe just get them off Ebay or if you have a local Maplins or Richersounds .... but any decent AV / TV accessory place really

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom