Help setting up PS3.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by lukeharvest, Jan 12, 2008.

1. lukeharvest

lukeharvest
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my PS3 set up on my PC Monitor (Hyundai W240D) first thing I noticed is that whenever I select 1080p it doesn't detect it, even though my monitor is 1080p. Why could this be? (is connected through HDMI)

Secondly I noticed that Uncharted doesn't look as crisp as I thought (currently working on 1080i) and it doesn't look as it should.

What settings, such as "PS Upscaler" etc. and display settings need to be put to, to see the best possible graphics?

many thanks

Luke Harvest

2. bigkingy

bigkingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    I dont know too much about monitors, but have you got 1080P selected under display settings? As far as upscaling goes, as far as I know that only effects DVDs and PS1 & 2 games.

Uncharted looks great on my HD TV, so it should look as good on your monitor!

3. lukeharvest

lukeharvest
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it looks great but some things are too sharp, like the intro to Uncharted on the boat, the sea and the distance looks pretty pixelated and too sharp, is that normal?

I've got 1080p working I simply put my monitor into 16:9 in the Menu and selected 1080p

4. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    What resolution is your PS3 set to ? Is it 1080p only ? Also Uncharted is a native 720p game and does not support 1080p, so if your displayh is set to 1080p there is probably some upscaling and/or downscaling going on which may be affecting the picture quality.

5. lukeharvest

lukeharvest
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm I have 720p, 1080i and 1080p selected and in XMB it's on 1080p. I just played Warhawk (which supports 1080i) yet it was running in 720p? Any ideas?

6. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I don't have Warhawk so I'm not sure what's going on with that. If it supports 1080i, your display supports up to 1080p and your PS3 is set to output all resolutions then it should display in 1080i.

7. lukeharvest

lukeharvest
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have noticed that my PC monitor, between 720p and 1080i, looks much better on 720p. Although 1080p looks better.

8. Ace007

Ace007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a HP w2207h and had the same problem. Untick all the other modes except 1080p :thumbsup:

Where possible it will run in 1080p or it's next highest resolution.

Cheers
    Ace

9. apoc_reg

apoc_reg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This tricked me at first on my Sharp 46xl2e but the PS3 doesn't upscale content.

Unlike the xbox elite which will run eg Call of Duty 4 at 1080p (upscaling it from the games native of 720p) the PS3 does not so Call of Duty 4 runs at 720p on the PS3 as do 90% of its games.

10. Unique Geeza

Unique Geeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

So the Xbox is a better displayed console then the ps3... yeah right ? :rotfl:

most of the manufacturers in gaming promote 720p as native and will look pretty much the same on both the mentioned consoles.. if a game is made in 1080p and the desired consoles can handle that then they will both look great as long as your display can handle good quality pictures in the mentioned displayed settings e.g 1080p etc... as the ps3 is a newer peice of kit compared to the xbox and blueray is also involved i would have thought the ps3 would outshine the xbox OIMHO

p.s. im playing COD4 in 1080 and is looking great on PS3 so maybe your wrong :eek:

just a question.... what % of games run at 720p on the xbox ?