Help setting up my network PLEASE!!

rosed4179

Standard Member
Reaction score
Ok here goes.

I have tiscali 2 meg broadband. My modem does not have an ethernet port but the back of my pc does. So ive run a cable from that to my ps3.

When i go into network connections, and right click on the tiscali icon and select properties, the advanced tab does not have the option to Share Internet connection. The only thing there is the firewall option. Ive just updated to service pack 2 on xp thinkin this would solve it but still its the same.

Can someone please help with a sort of step by step guide as im pretty crap with computers etc and im stuck now on what to do.

many thanks in advance:lease:

I think you need to two one of two things:

Either use a "Crossover cable" between your PC and PS3
or
Use a switching hub

you can't just connect two ethernet cards with a standard patch cable

3rd option of course, treat yourself to a wireless router then use the built in WiFI

Best of Luck

I think you need to two one of two things:

Either use a "Crossover cable" between your PC and PS3
or
Use a switching hub

you can't just connect two ethernet cards with a standard patch cable

3rd option of course, treat yourself to a wireless router then use the built in WiFI

Best of Luck

Oh right so whats the difference between a cross over one and the one i have? And dont say the one crosses over and the other doesnt ;)

Like gordon.jackson, I would recommend the WiFi route as well.

I too have a Tiscali 2MB connection, and I installed a Netgear DG834G wireless router/ADSL modem some time ago - it was very easy to install and I've never had a problem with it, and have easily shared my internet connection with other PC's, etc. No later than yesterday, my nephew had his PS3 over here to try it on my HD telly and we decided to try to connect it to the internet via my WiFi connection - within one minute of trying, we were connected, and he performed a PS3 upgrade from version 1.00 to version 1.60 - don't ask me what the upgrade actually was for, but it certainly worked no problem at all.

Therefore, I reiterate, go wireless.

Cheers,

Martin.

Oh right so whats the difference between a cross over one and the one i have? And dont say the one crosses over and the other doesnt ;)
A Crossover cable allows a network connection between two PC's (or in your case 1 PC and a PS3) but that is all, you cannot utilise a router, and your PC needs to be on and connected for the PS3 to receive an internet connection. Its fine for a quick link at work to swap files etc, but if you need to add another PC or Laptop for any reason, your stuffed. A hub usually has minimum of four ports, sometimes 8 and means you can use standard patch cables. Standard patch cables are usually longer and cheaper than crossover cables.
HAving said all that!!, a crossover is basically the same thing, i.e a length of CAT5 cable (8 strands) and 2 RJ45 plugs. A crossover cable is wired slightly different. Hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom