1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help setting up my first dolby system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bangaho, Jul 13, 2004.

1. bangaho

bangaho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive currently got 8 speakers running in stereo, 4 on each channel powered on a vintage SA-606 amp.. i can get a yammaha DSPA5 ive got loads of good quality celestion speakers enough for a 5 channel setup.. but can i have all speakers playing from a stereo source? i dont want to have to just have the main 2 and the rest playing just echos n stuff is it possible to have them all playing all full bandwidth sound??? cuz i would like to have the surround but id also like to be able to have them all pumping out from a stereo source.. or something similar

2. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    You can use the various DSP modes on the amp to drive all your speakers (well 5 of them) from a stereo source. Some modes will od course be better than others, but Yamaha do have a good reputation for their DSP modes.

The Dolby Digital and DTS surround modes that are available, are a nig step up from pro-logic but are only available on encoded discs (Pro-logic 2 is a vast improvement as well, but isn't featured on the A5).

Have a look at this link, where you can see full spec of the A5, which is very well regarded.

Yamaha archive

The ideal solution would be to have a listen before you buy, as if you mainly listen to music on cd, a later amp with pro-logic 2 and DTS Neo 6 may be more suited to your needs.

Hope this helps.

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,657
    Just a word of caution here. Many amps do provide for the surround speakers to duplicate the front two in stereo eg my C2 processor has a 'Party' mode, which does just that.
    However, my old Yamaha AX1 didn't have this feature (or at least, if it did, I couldn't find it!), and as the A5 is similar vintage, I would doubly check it before I bought one
    Phil