Help - setting up KEF R3 (single wire connection)

SandyF

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I picked up the KEF R3 and the new amp and took them home.

The KEF R3 are the first biwarable speakers I have bought - and they've got these link knobs on the back.

Unfortunately, the intructions do not explain what these knobs do. I'm supposed to turn the knob on the left speaker in a particular direction - and it does affect the sound quality, but I'm not sure if I am supposed to turn the knob on both speakers or not.

Turning them does make a difference to the sound quality, but I'm not exactly sure where or how they are supposed to be set, or what they are for.

Could someone please give me a clue?

The knobs rotate to place the link or remove it. You need to rotate both knobs on each speaker clockwise when using single wire. Turn them anti clockwise if bi-wiring

Screenshot_20211124-195106.jpg

If the speakers are new then they should be in the single wire position, ie, fully clockwise. They do up quite tight and I've not had to retighten in over six years of use (old R100/200C/300 singled wired).

Thank you. that's a lot clearer - I turn the knobs towards the F in KEF.

Also, they could have said there were caps in the terminas which had to be removed too.

Thank you. that's a lot clearer - I turn the knobs towards the F in KEF.

Also, they could have said there were caps in the terminas which had to be removed too.
Again yes. Easy to get out I have my front three using banana plugs. If they are the same as my old R Series then you have to unscrew the binding post completely and then remove the caps. Think everything comes with those little caps in nowadays.

Yes, they do.

But the intruction manuals for both the Roksan K3 and the FEF R3 ommitted to mention that these plugs were there, that they needed removing, and how to remove them.

You'd think that it would be useful to tell folks that these caps were there, and how to remove them?

I spent a bit of time scratching my head thinking I needed bare wire, when the dealership told me banana plugs were fine.

Yes, they do.

But the intruction manuals for both the Roksan K3 and the FEF R3 ommitted to mention that these plugs were there, that they needed removing, and how to remove them.

You'd think that it would be useful to tell folks that these caps were there, and how to remove them?

I spent a bit of time scratching my head thinking I needed bare wire, when the dealership told me banana plugs were fine.
Which brand of wires (and specs) you ended up buying? Did you go bi or single?

If he's only using one amp, hopefully single.

Probably copper - seems to work for most cables

An absolutely stupid design
Elaborate then, how so exactly?

It’s an integrated compact design that is entirely obvious how they work (even if the OP couldn’t figure it out). And if you’re one of those who believes they must use cable links so they match the main run to the amp, then these facilitate that without needing to remove and potentially lose the typical links other designs have (I’ve seen a lot of speakers over the years for sale second hand, where the links have been lost).
Seems to me a case of have you cake and eat it with these: simple discrete if you want to use them/can be bypassed if you don’t!

Or is this just another one of your inane comments because we all know you bash anything that’s close to being an established premium brand product.

Elaborate then, how so exactly?

It’s an integrated compact design that is entirely obvious how they work (even if the OP couldn’t figure it out). And if you’re one of those who believes they must use cable links so they match the main run to the amp, then these facilitate that without needing to remove and potentially lose the typical links other designs have (I’ve seen a lot of speakers over the years for sale second hand, where the links have been lost).
Seems to me a case of have you cake and eat it with these: simple discrete if you want to use them/can be bypassed if you don’t!

Or is this just another one of your inane comments because we all know you bash anything that’s close to being an established premium brand product.

Stupid knob that someone can mess about and short out your amp.

What's wrong with easy to see bridging links so you can tell instantly if it's single wired or links are in?

Just the usual stupid design trying to fix something that didn't need fixing.

Stupid knob that someone can mess about and short out your amp.
Who the hell would be clambering around the back of someone else's speakers and adjusting the knob. And this would only be an issue with bi-amping, ridiculous point.

What's wrong with easy to see bridging links so you can tell instantly if it's single wired or links are in?
Well there's a chance of losing them for a start, so an integrated design that renders them not needed actually feels more like warranted progress.

Just the usual stupid design trying to fix something that didn't need fixing.
So based on your two ridiculously weak points, no not a stupid design, colour me oh so surprised you came up with shit in response. Just you being a troll as usual.

My god you life must be miserable being so negative about everything (besides that is your beloved Tonewinner and Monoprice!).... and this is rhetorical by the way, no one needs to read more drivel.

Who the hell would be clambering around the back of someone else's speakers and adjusting the knob. And this would only be an issue with bi-amping, ridiculous point.

Well there's a chance of losing them for a start, so an integrated design that renders them not needed actually feels more like warranted progress.

So based on your two ridiculously weak points, no not a stupid design, colour me oh so surprised you came up with shit in response. Just you being a troll as usual.

My god you life must be miserable being so negative about everything (besides that is your beloved Tonewinner and Monoprice!).... and this is rhetorical by the way, no one needs to read more drivel.

Funny that just asked someone about those kef knob design he agreed with me, absurd design.

And someone else said daft idea

Last edited:
As mentioned I don’t see it as strange concept. You adjust it according to setup you’ve got.

R5 is popular speaker. Wondering how the Meta sounds.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom