Help setting up home theatre system for my PC

kuruairu

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to set up my multimedia room in such a way that I'm not sure is possible. So I'd like some help and suggestions.

I want to set up my room in such a way that when I game on my PC, it outputs the sound in 7.1.4 surround system, but when I'm not gaming, switch to 2.1ch stereo sound.

It sounds simple, as it looks like I only need to change the sound settings on my PC from surround to 2ch, but the issue is, my PC desk is placed on the sidewall, perpendicular to the TV and the 7.1.4 speaker setup. The PC is placed between the right surround speaker, and the right surround back speaker (I'm attaching a diagram below). So if I just switch the sound on my PC to 2ch stereo, all the sound will come from my two "front" speakers to my left.

5DHdQlo.png

So far I could think of two methods using multizones, but I'm new to AVRs so whats on my mind might not actually work:

1) set "zone 1" to 7.1.4 setup, and "zone 2" would be my two right-sided surround speakers as stereo speakers, so my R. surround speaker would act as zone2 front left speaker, and my original R. back surround speaker would act as zone2 front right speaker.

Screenshot 2022-02-08 012425.png

2) or another option would be to set it up so my two back surround speakers act as my zone2 front speakers, and every time I have to physically move them between my desk when using them as zone 2, and return them to their original position when I want to play something in surround sound.

That's all assuming I can use the same speaker for two zones.

-------------------------

I use my PC for almost everything, from working on it from home to listening to music, and playing videogames, the only other console I have is a Nintendo switch. That's why it's important to me to have two speakers for my everyday PC use.

My PC is connected to two 27" monitors and one 4K OLED TV on the sidewall.

The way I use my setup currently is 80% of the time I have my TV turned off when I'm sitting on my desk and using my dual monitor setup. When I want to play a game, I get up and sit on my sofa in the middle of the room, facing my TV, and I game on it.

My receiver is Denon X6400H and it can only support 11ch.

I'm sorry if the post sound incoherent and I didn't make a good job of explaining the problem, I'm both new to AVRs and English isn't my native language.

This is my set up, fairly similar to yours

PXL_20220207_225626491~2.jpg

I just have pc connected to avr via hdmi, and to the two monitors by displayport and dvi-hdmi

I'm literally in the middle of watching a show, but I'll answer in more detail later if necessary

I don't think you need to mess around with windows or avr sound settings. You set windows as 7.1, and if you're listening to music that will still go to the pc as stereo

This is my set up, fairly similar to yours

View attachment 1650456

I just have pc connected to avr via hdmi, and to the two monitors by displayport and dvi-hdmi

I'm literally in the middle of watching a show, but I'll answer in more detail later if necessary

I don't think you need to mess around with windows or avr sound settings. You set windows as 7.1, and if you're listening to music that will still go to the pc as stereo
Glad to hear someone is using the same setup.

Although I may be stupid I don't get it. How would you get the sound in stereo from your PC? There's only one source of sound for the TV and the monitors, which is the PC, so if I'm listening to music on my desk, the sound only comes out from the main front 2 speakers, which are next to the TV, to my side.

Glad to hear someone is using the same setup.

Although I may be stupid I don't get it. How would you get the sound in stereo from your PC............, so if I'm listening to music on my desk, the sound only comes out from the main front 2 speakers, which are next to the TV, to my side.

If the music is coming out the front 2 speakers that's stereo. I don't have speakers on my desk

What you said you wanted was :

I want to set up my room in such a way that when I game on my PC, it outputs the sound in 7.1.4 surround system, but when I'm not gaming, switch to 2.1ch stereo sound.

But I presume what you meant was, that you want two pairs of "stereo speakers" / (front left, front right speakers) and to be able to switch between the two

If the music is coming out the front 2 speakers that's stereo. I don't have speakers on my desk

What you said you wanted was :

But I presume what you meant was, that you want two pairs of "stereo speakers" / (front left, front right speakers) and to be able to switch between the two
Yes, I'm bad at explaining. What I meant was I'd like to change which speakers are considered the "front" speakers. So yes, when I'm watching from the TV, I want the front speakers to be the two next to the TV, and when I'm on my monitors, I want the "front" speakers to be the two on my desk, next to my monitors.

Yes, I'm bad at explaining. What I meant was I'd like to change which speakers are considered the "front" speakers. So yes, when I'm watching from the TV, I want the front speakers to be the two next to the TV, and when I'm on my monitors, I want the "front" speakers to be the two on my desk, next to my monitors.

Good luck

You should be able to that with some software. Media Player Classic (now discontinued I believe) gave you the option of mapping channels to any speaker of your choosing - so you could designate your rear l&r speakers as your front l&r for example. But this would only work for audio/ video files being played in the software.

I believe some software like “equaliser apo” could be used for this (using the ”copy” & “channel” commands) & would work globally across anything played on the pc. Doesn’t look easy to use though.

You should be able to that with some software. Media Player Classic (now discontinued I believe) gave you the option of mapping channels to any speaker of your choosing - so you could designate your rear l&r speakers as your front l&r for example. But this would only work for audio/ video files being played in the software.

I believe some software like “equaliser apo” could be used for this (using the ”copy” & “channel” commands) & would work globally across anything played on the pc. Doesn’t look easy to use though.

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you very much! I managed to do it with hardware, using a couple of switchers (one which connects a speaker to 2 amps, and one that connects 2 speakers to 1 amp), I have to flip two switchers in order, and then it disconnects the original front speakers, and switches the side speakers to it. But it's too much of a hassle, and it'll cost the same as buying 2 speakers and an amp for the PC.

But the software solution you linked should be perfect, and is exactly what I'm looking for, thanks a lot!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom