Help setting up / connecting new pc please

zoidburg

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I was wondering if anyone can offer any help for me setting up my new pc please. Iv just bought the following spec pc to replace one of about 5 years old. Mainly i use it for surfing the web, downloading music and films. I have the pc connected to my 42 inch philips lcd tv and also connected to my pioneer ax3 home cinema amp (via 3.5mm jack to stereo imputs).

AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Black Quad Core Processor AM3 (3.20GHz, 8MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit - English
Midi-Tower ATX Chassis + 550W PSU + CardReader - Silver
ASUS M2N68-VM Mainboard, AM2+ with integrated HDMI/DVI/VGA Graphics - MATX
4GB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - (2x 2GB)
1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer [upg
Blu-Ray Combo Optical Drive (BluRay read, DVD and CD read and write)
1GB ATI HD4670 Graphics accelerator - DVI, DirectX 10.1 PCI Express 2 [upg
Multi-Format Memory Card Reader -(52-in-1 Internal)
7.1 High Definition onboard sound card - for 8 Channel Cinema sound
Logitech Cordless Keyboard & Cordless Optical Mouse
Free Microsoft® Works® 8.5 + Limited Microsoft Office Trial
Free Cyberlink Video Editing Suite - 7 titles (oem)
12 USB 2.0 ports (12 USB 2.0 ports (6 on back I/O, 6 on board) - ASUS M2N68-VM
Network Ready Gigabit LAN (10/100/1000

So here are the problems I have if anyone can offer some solutions / advise I would be very grateful:thumbsup::thumbsup:!!!

1. Sound - Ideally I would like to connect the pc to my amp via optical toslink but when I connect it in this way no sound comes out. When I swop the connection to 3.5mm jack to stereo phone the sound is fine. Any ideas? Are there any settings on the PC I should be changing to get this to work??

2. Blu-ray - I have a blueray drive but when I put in a blu-ray disk i cannot watch it either in windows media player or the cyberlink dvd software that is prepackaged. Any ideas how I can actualy watch blu-rays please as that would really be :cool:

Thansk in advance.

cheers

zoidburg

sound will be to do with options, change the output.

what os you on mate?
but the option for sound will be in control panel under "sound" then select digital output, it may be called SPDIF make it the default ;) that should get you sound.

in regards to bluray playback... some more info, what happens when you try to play? no picture? HDCP warnings? also the pre-packaged version of powerdvd only does 2ch audio, or at least the version with my lg drive did, so you may need to upgrade to a paid version or buy an alternative like totalmedia theatre 3.

hope this helps

Ben

what os you on mate?
but the option for sound will be in control panel under "sound" then select digital output, it may be called SPDIF make it the default ;) that should get you sound.

in regards to bluray playback... some more info, what happens when you try to play? no picture? HDCP warnings? also the pre-packaged version of powerdvd only does 2ch audio, or at least the version with my lg drive did, so you may need to upgrade to a paid version or buy an alternative like totalmedia theatre 3.

hope this helps

Ben

Im on vista mate only used XP before so still getting used to it.

When I try to play bluray it says it does not recognise the disk and i cant see or hear anything. Maybe I should look at getting an upgrade of powerdvd?

cheers for ya reply:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom